Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 pm • #  

I was testing the reel on the beach after a while everything quit. I went home and took the spool off and saw that the nut and washer that tighten the rotor to the main shaft. Apparently I did not tighten the nut enough and it worked its way loose and the pin fell out the bottom under the rotor luckily I have a new pin but need to know how tight do I need the nut to be. I didn't want to strip it. There was no red paint to match the nut with the rotor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am • #  

I just read an old post stating the pin that fits in the slot of the rotor and is supposed to be tight in the hole in the pinion shaft. My hole the pin fits in is oblong and not tight do I have to figure out how to get the pinion gear out or could I drill another hole deep enough to get the pin to hold possible on the opposite side as the original hole for the pin? Brass is pretty soft I should be able to drill another hole without damaging the inner shaft I think. Any thoughts? How hard is it to get the pinion gear out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:02 pm • #  

Does Mr Carney monitor this site? are any of the old timers that know salt water reels out here to help us newbies? I see many posts here that never get a reply. Just wonder how come. I really could use some help. I thought that is what this forum is for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:57 am • #  

Wolfer,
Please remember my suggestions to your first post and try not to get frustrated when you don't get the information you need immediately. Sometimes it takes time to find what you need. :sSa_sadeyes:
Sorry, I can not answer your questions about this site as I am relatively new myself and I do not know the answers. I am also sorry I do not know anything about the 302/402 models as my interest is mainly about the Mitchell 300. :blush

I would like to offer you some suggestions to try to help you get the information you need. :sCh_fisherman:
1. Get a user manual for your reel. Try eBay.
2. Post photographs to illustrate your questions and support your posts.
3. Search the internet for Mitchell Reel Repair shops. You may find one near you or one that would be willing to answer specific questions regarding your reel.
4. Obtain a copy of an exploded diagram for your reel. There are many in the MRM. Use the exploded diagram to see what parts go to your reel and how/where they go.
5. Do a search for your specific reel model in the MRM search engine. The search engine will take you back into the archives of posts made in the past (some several years back) regarding your reel.

Hope This Helps
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm • #  

I understand Bill however I have seen simple questions that have no response for months. You are right it is frustrating. I will try some of the things you have mentioned I appreciate you responding to my post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 pm • #  

Hello Wolfer,

Welcome to the Mitchell Museum and I'm truly sorry you didn't receive a response. GreatLaker (Bill) provided the perfect reply..Thanks Bill. Many of us Mates work a regular work day and spend what little time we have left (after home chores, dinner/supper, family etc.) here in the Museum and working on research and our collections - sharing information/observations. Not all of us have the requisite knowledge to answer every question off the top of our heads - many times it requires some research through our files or an e-mail/phone call to another Mate to ensure the question is answered with the utmost accuracy. There's been many a time I've pulled apart one of my reels to answer another Mates question - and I'm not the only one on here. A question on a Monday night may take me a couple of days to answer because I will always make sure it's correct. All of the Mates hold themselves to that standard - so if we don't individually know for sure, we can't/won't answer immediately. Hope you understand and will become a contributing member to the Forum, sharing your passion and what you learned from your Mitchell 402.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 pm • #  

Hi Wolfer,
Don't drill anything yet. I've got a Mint Garcia Mitchell 402 and I'll pull it apart tomorrow night to see what your challenge is. I think your theory would work on a 306/406 but can't be sure on the 402 yet. I'll provide my best recommendation to you tomorrow night.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:14 pm • #  

Hi Again Wolfer,

The pinion gear is held in by two small set screws on either side of the body at the front of the reel part #s 81406 and 81407 once those are removed, the pinion should slide out (sometimes old grease can make this a chore). You will have to remove the axel shaft first which will slide out once the lock pin is removed from oscillation slide inside the body under the plate with the writing on it. Once your pinion is removed , you should be able to drill a hole on the opposite side of the existing one. Use extra care to ensure it is the correct diameter.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 pm • #  

Thanks Chris I appreciate your help. I will update my progress. I hope the two screws are not the two that hold the Bearing in. They are very tight I am going to soak them for a couple days with blaster to loosten them I hope. I have a new sealed ceramic bearing I can install if I can get those screws backed off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm • #  

Hi Wolfer,

Unfortunately those two screws are exactly what you need to remove. I've had great luck with Blaster so hopefully you will too. Please let me know and I will advise where I can - not really a Mitchell Salt Water Reel guy but happy to help.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 am • #  

Updae te: Thanks Chris
I decided to buy a new pinion but I kept the old one I can drill it out gears were fine. First I took the spool off then took the handle off then under the spool the axle shaft which is in the center attaches to the spool has a nut and shim that holds the rotor on I took that off then carefully lifted the rotor off. Be careful because there is what is called a key that slips into the slot of the rotor and is supposed to be a tight fit in a hole in the side of the pinion gear.There was a plastic piece that covers the bearing and the two screws that hold the bearing in. Then I took both side plates off the main body of the reel. On the crank side plate I lifted the two gears out (they just lifted out) I replaced the with a crosswind cam. It has slips into a hole in the main gear that the crank turns. I had to figure out how to take the axle shaft out so next at the front of the reel where the axle shaft meets the rotor there is a bearing. It has two small screws that I soaked overnight with blaster. Fortunately they loostened enough to screw out. then I worked the axle shaft from inside around til the bearing came out and there was a clear shim or protection for bearings both came out then the axle shaft was lose but I was not sure how to get the axle shaft out at the top of the axle shaft are the threads for screwing the spool on and it is thicker than the rest of the axle so the pinion which slides inside the bearing I took off would not slip off the axle shaft and had to come off the bottom of the axle. The sliding piece with a slot that connects the crank side of the reel that moves back and forth when you crank the reel has a c clip on each side to hold it in place. they are hard to see. Before I took them off the bottom of the axle shaft has a piece that slides back and forth and is attached to the end of the axle. It has a screw that the slot in the screw is attached from the opposite side from the crank then I slid that slider back and the end of the axle shaft dropped down on that side and pulled right out. then I took the two c clips off and that piece slid off then the pinion slid off the bottom of the axle shaft. Next was to put it all back together which was easy because i took photos and lined parts up from one end to the other. Hope this will help someone else. Thanks to chris I am now waiting for a PUM then I will be ready to fish again. I have a 302 and this 402 there is a big difference in speed of retrieve if I am in the ocean I can get slack out of the line much faster with the 402 and the combination of the crosswind cam and the Pum made this reel state of the art. I am happy with the results. Reason I tore it apart was the key that holds the rotor to the axle fits tight in the pinion gear and it got wallered out and fell out. Thanks for all your help.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply