Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 308 replacement springs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:13 pm • #  

My wife inherited a 1975 Mitchell 308 reel. I am trying to get it in working shape for our kids. Where can I find a replacement bail spring and the spring on the catch system below the spool? I don't have a manual for this reel, so I have no point of reference on parts except for the handy videos that were posted to YouTube for the reel. Any direction the group can provide to both a manual and a place to order replacement springs from would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 am • #  

Hello dwildman,
You looking to work on a 306 or 308? You can find the schematics on top of this home page. The 308 Bail spring #81287, Trip spring #81294. I and a lot here get parts on ebay. You can also google for parts. Two of the ebay sellers I use are, jdltreasures1 and jeffccbc . One tip I can give you is, replace the bail spring 1st. the trip won't get in the way. Good luck and get the kids fishing :sAni_fish:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:19 am • #  

Thanks don309. I have a 308 and the schematics you pointed out verify the part numbers you also pointed me to. I dove in and messed up the trip spring thinking was the issue with the bail, rather than the bail spring. I was trying to figure out how to get that trip spring back in, so that picture will help once I get the parts ordered. :sSig_thankyou:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:07 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings dwildman,

Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum. (Sorry for the late greeting).
I like to mention that if you ever have to buy a bail spring, take care to get one that is correct for your reel.

The early models had a spring that used 4 coils, and the later models used a 5 coil spring.

Those later models had a "5" indented on the back of the spinning head to help with future replacements.

I'm not the 308 expert that some of the other mates are, so if I'm wrong, guys, please correct me. :sHa_okay:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm • #  

Ted,
Do you know if this would also apply to the 300 models, having 4 coils on bail springs then changed to 5 coils later?
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 pm • #  
Global Moderator

GreatLaker,
I don't think that they made a change like that on the Mitchell 300.
At least, none of the 300's I've been into. (pre79)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 pm • #  

dwildman, the 308 is a fantastic little reel...you've received some good advice so far...

Bail spring: The four coil spring changed to five coil spring - 4 coil until serial #560650, 5 coil beginning #560651...a 1975 reel would be a five coil and indicated as a numeral "5" on the bottom of the rotating head just after the "Made in France", as Ted mentioned. I've rarely had a problem when I've used either spring in either head. I've probably done this 100 times. That said, it is always best practice to match up with correct parts.

Trip lever spring: As don 309 stated, installing the trip lever and spring should be done after the bail spring and bail are installed (makes it much easier to install the bail assembly). One tip I can add is to pull the trip spring over the cog in the trip lever as the last step in installing the trip assembly.

Feel free to post more photos of your reel or ask other questions. it's likely your reel should get a complete disassembly and relube.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:39 pm • #  

Thank you all for the insights. Unfortunately, I am still having some issues with that bail spring. I ordered two replacement bail springs. I was able to confirm, based on the post information, that I have a 5 coil bail spring set up on the real, and it appears I was shipped a 5 coil bail spring. It actually looks more like a 5-1/2 coil spring, and I think that is the source of my issues getting it to work correctly. When the spring is seated correctly in the casting of the reel spool, the tab position on the bail spring seems off about 1/2 the circumference of the spring from where it should be. I tried to manipulate one of the new springs I ordered for about two hours before I made a mess of it and gave up. It is making me wonder if getting this old reel back in working condition is worth the time. Can one of you who has worked with these 308 bail springs confirm if it appears I have the right spring based on the pictures I attached? If so, there has got to be a trick to getting those tabs to line up so that the bail does not want to just bend over the spring tab and render the spring useless. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:45 pm • #  

I am having difficulties getting any photos to load. I get the following message: "The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 850 pixels wide and 0 pixels high. The submitted image is 1280 pixels wide and 960 pixels high." I am not sure how I can upload pictures that are 0 pixels wide and 0 pixels high. I did reduce the file size down below 200 kb before trying to upload it. Any suggestions?
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:12 am • #  

Dave
If you have windows on your computer. Open pictures in paint, resize then their (850 pixels).
Also if your having that much trouble replacing the bail spring. Removing the bail wire should help you make it easier to handle.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply