Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 308 project
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:45 am • #  

Just picked up another ($20.00) 308 to save, for the kids. Thinking this one will also be repainted. Sorry about the photo it's the seller photo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: 308 project
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:59 pm • #  

Don309,

A good project for the fall and winter I bet. Have you already gone over your user reels and gotten them cleaned and greased for next year already? We are still fishing here in Michigan for many species.

Just curious, but I was wondering why you chose the 308 model instead of some other model for this project? Is it because you are planning to have the 308 model matched with a light weight rod for trout?

I was also wondering what will be your process with the 308? Do you start with disassembly, cleaning, or what? Just wondering how you do it. :sCo_hmmthink:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:40 pm • #  

Looks like fun Don...let me know if you need a part or two, I may be able to help.

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:28 pm • #  

Bill,
No I'm still trout fishing a few days a week. I like to clean my reels in the winter, helps with cabin fever. Though I do have several models of Mitchell reels these days. For 5-6 years now I have mainly looked for 204 & 308 reels. Two years ago I started building rods. I have a couple friends from a rod building forum, that send me broken rod blanks. Also one friend that goes to the Expo, the last day I get him to buy blanks at $1.00 a foot for me. Over the winter I build UL rods, and clean up, restore reels. I go two 2 trout rodeos, find young anglers that look serious about fishing. And give them a trout rig, along with the story of the reel their fishing. I always get a laugh seeing a kids face, when I tell them the reel is probably older than dad. Some dad's remember fishing or their dad's fishing a Mitchell.
I disassemble the reels. Than I take a bench grinder with a wire wheel to remove the paint. I painted a few with dupli-color car paint, clear coat and baked the paint to cure. The last one I painted with Krylon fusion all-in-one, and used Max 2k clear glamour. That one appears to be a hard finish. It was for my daughter, so I'll be able to see how it holds up.
Sandman,
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind.
Here's a few pictures of my daughter's 308.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:02 am • #  

Don, good strategy...I bought my girls pink tackle boxes...she’ll probably give that reel to her daughter...the Mitchell legend doesn’t get much better than that.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:45 am • #  

Sandman,
I have 2 adult children, boy and a girl. My son has nothing to do with the outdoors. Meanwhile my daughter will jump at the opportunity to fish/camp. So she will get all my stuff/she want to build her own rod this winter. Here's her saltwater flounder rig. I know it has a Penn 4400ss reel. Truth is she does start the day with a restored 406 Mitchell. I think you saw this restore from start to finish. But she says it get to heavy. We travel 1 1/2 hours to our spot, and usually fish about 10-12 hours., so I do understand. But she has always liked the comments she get, is that a Mitchell, where did you get that Mitchell, I heard your reel and knew it was a Mitchell. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:28 pm • #  

How’s the 308 coming along Don?

Glen in NovaScotia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 pm • #  

Glen when the reel arrived the paint wasn't as bad as it looked. I did make my great niece, a purple rod. I think I'm going to paint it purple. Like the one I made for my daughter. But that project will have to wait till spring now. I live in an apartment, and have to do it outside. The reel does operate very well.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply