Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Grease......or oil??
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:47 am • #  

I'll be honest, I've never used Grease when servicing any of my Mitchells since I got my first 300 in 1966. I've always used Automotive Engine Oil (SAE 20-50 or whatever was in the garage)

Never had any issues or problems apart from ensuring any excess is wiped off (a few spins of the reel and any excess is removed anyway)

My thinking is that oil will still get to parts that grease can't after a while.

Anyone got any views on this?

Chris, Bristol UK

p.s. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Post subject: Re: Grease......or oil??
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:49 am • #  

Chris,
I grease the inside of my reels, I do add a little oil to the shafts. No debris gets there (covered). I than wipe off the grease on the shaft from the top of the rotor head up. I use oil there, the theory is grease holds dirt witch can get under the head. I also put a thin coat of Corrosion Block grease both inside and out on the reels. Especially the saltwater reels, stops corrosion, beads water up.
So for me oil & grease.
Don

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:31 pm • #  

Chris,

Merry Christmas! I've been picking old reels of various manufacturers up and cleaning them up on the cheap for a couple of years now.

I picked up the habit of using grease on bushings and gears and oil on bearings after watching a Youtube channel called 2nd chance Tackle made by the owner of the business, Dennis. He has been in business for 20 yrs. and can go through a old reel and get the reel back out fishing in quick time. He recommends using oils and grease designed for fishing reels as they are usually a little lighter than automotive lubricants. Years ago, I used to use automotive lubricants and noticed the difference after I switched. Here in the U.S., Garcia oil and grease are easy to find. Penn grease is available on the internet, as well as the oil that Dennis uses, Reelx. Brands don't seem to matter so long as they're designed to be used on reels. All of us here use and maintain their reels on a regular basis, which is the best thing to keep the reels in top operating shape.

Don, I'd like to suggest hydraulic oil, the type that U.S. farm and industrial tractors use, as an alternative to motor oil. There are 2 types. One for tractors with hydraulic wet brakes and plain hydraulic oil, the cheap stuff. The cheap stuff is what I would use for reels. It may be cheaper, and it's the equivalent of a 20W motor oil.

It seems to me that all of the problem reels that make their way into Dennis's shop have a combination of 3 things, either they have broken parts, haven't been serviced since they were new and lost all of their lubrication, or packed with heavy grease and left to set for years and are now so stiff that they are tough to turn the retrieve handle.

The take-away for me was to use grease and oils designed for the reels and clean and sparingly lubricate them regularly. My 4th gen Mitchell really works well now that I've cleaned the old hardened grease out of it and gave it a good going over.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:23 am • #  

Ed,
Dennis of 2nd chance, has some very good video's on all types of reels including Mitchell's. Don't know if you know it, he repairs reels for party/head boats in NJ.
While reel grease is designed for just that reels. And these oils and greases make a smooth reel. I don't find that much difference in the grease I use Corrosion Block. I have had 2 rods go into the inlet (saltwater), which I got back. After opening them I could have just flushed them with a hose. Of course I tear down any reel submersed in any water.
I guess some old habits are hard to break :sCh_fisherman:

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:55 pm • #  

Don,

Thanks for the reply and advise. I've never used Corrosion Block before and I'll be on the look out for it to give it a try.

Thanks & Regards,

Ed

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply