Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:14 am • #  

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am new to working on Mitchells.. Question, how does one know if a shim is needed on these reels, I mean..is it obvious or are there clues, etc?? Thanks, Joe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:59 pm • #  

Hi Joe,

There are no dumb questions in the Forums and I commend you for working on your Mitchells. It's really a lot of fun and once you get the hang of it, it's really not overly complicated.

With regard to shims. All of the "Made in France" Mitchells were hand "tuned" at the factory to make them as smooth and quiet as possible which involved shimming a couple of critical areas....Under the baffle plate to rotor, under the rotor to body and under the pinion gear. These were sometimes lost or misplaced by previous owners who disassembled their reels, which now becomes your problem. There are a number of discussions regarding proper shimming here in the Forum but the basics are, if the reel rotates roughly or there is excessive play in the rotor to body (front to back) or if the reel is noisy with the A/R off, the shims are likely missing or the reel has wear that additional shims will likely fix. A good selection of shims (3 different part numbers in 3 different thicknesses for the 300) is essential to any "Mitchell Mechanic".

Hope this helps answer your question.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 pm • #  

There are some good posts on this forum that explain shimming. If you dismantle your reel you need to ensure that any shims in the reel are returned during reassembly.

You can locate where the shims are on a schematic of the reel.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 pm • #  

Despite servicing about 200 Mitchell 300 reels now I still, on occasion, drop a shim from under the pinion gear onto the worktop....

And I've lost count of how many I've found floating free inside reels someone else has serviced.

One trick to give an idea of what a reel might want doing inside is to turn the reel over with the rotor pointing skywards and then to turn it over pointing downwards.

If it runs quieter in one way perhaps gravity is telling you what is needed...the rotor moving nearer or further away from the main body.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply