Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:01 am • #  

I have 4 Mitchell 440's. Three of these have the red side plate gasket and the 4th one doesn't. All 4 run smoothly with little noise. I decided to fit a new red gasket on the one that doesn't have one, and on doing so found that it increased the noise from the reel a lot. I can appreciate that by fitting the gasket the whole "side plate gear " set up has been moved away from the rotating head gear which probably accounts for the noise. If I wish to continue the fitting of the gasket can someone advise me where I need to shim? I would imagine I need to shim underneath the gear that meshes with the rotating head gear? But.....as the side plate has now been moved out approx 1mm by the addition of the gasket, what size shim would I need? I would add that there are NO shims under the top side plate gear (the one that meshes with the rotating head gear.) Or should I just leave the gasket out!! Thanks Gents.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:51 am • #  

You will need a shim of about .039 inch. You will have to make it.

Just take the gasket out.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 am • #  

thanks Glen- thats what I've done and its running sweet at the moment. It was just a case of "matching" the other 440's.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply