Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 am • #  
Administrator

Thanks to the generosity of our host Mike Read; the first International Mitchell Meeting of collectors was held in London in January, 2007. Everyone was invited as will be the next one. I took over 1,000 photographs of Mitchell reels and didn't finish! Below is a sampling of a few.

It's better With Your Sound Turned On!

Plans for another Mitchell Collectors meet in London are under way! Image

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Last edited by mitchellreels on Wed May 27, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:57 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Thanks for sharing this Wallace, nice pictures mate. I was really sad to miss the event and I look forward to the next one.
Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:49 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Roy,

Yes I remember well how much you wanted to come but the distance was too long a drive for you at the time. You WILL be at the next one cause I'm coming to get ya if I have to!

Best Regards,
Wallace

NOTE: The video wasn't working and I just found out. IT IS NOW! Seams I forgot to turn on the "public" switch in You Tube! Sorry Image

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm • #  

Hi wallace,
This website just gets better, with all the efforts being put in to bring mitchell folk what they want to see there,s no need to go elsewhere. The slideshow from the 1ST international conference held over here in england (thanks to the kindness of mike and yourself) is great piece of work again, i can only urge every mitchell fan to make the effort to come to the next one, it will be bigger and better thats for sure.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 pm • #  

The first International Mitchell conference London,England in January 2007 was very enjoyable. Well done Wallace and Mike in organising it. It was a very enjoyable affair. I am very much looking forward to a second meeting.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 am • #  
Administrator

Dear Mitchell Mates,

Outside my family; this was the best event that has ever happened to me. I made friends for life and saw Mitchell reels and other artifacts I would have never seen. Though some of us had never even talked to others it was an immediate connection between all. We were not defined or classed as experts, authors, historians or collectors but just simple people with a common interest or may I say passion? My best times were hanging out with Jimbo and James (even though I was very tired from jet lag) and finding out just how big James Entwistle's passion for collecting Mitchell for over 20 years was.

My best moment to remember was first seeing Barry Frewing at breakfast sitting across the table from me! We were introduced even though whispers had already circulated that was him. I was so nervous I worried about having egg on my face, literally, we were at breakfast. We had talked and written each other many times but there I was sitting face-to-face. Turned out Barry was even nicer in person which I thought impossible! When I commented on his gold & silver Mitchell tie clip, he took it off and MADE me take it. This sits in front of my computer screen to this day including other gifts from Jim Partridge and James Entwistle.

I was so busy enjoying the fellowship and taking pictures up to my date of departure; I never had time to see London at all. That's my only regret but if I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing except maybe staying longer. Sorry for the long text but this was the very short version!

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

2007 seems a long time ago now. I remember meeting Wallace with trepidation and Mike and a group of people all into Mitchell reels. We all met up and enjoyed ourselves, thank you Mike it is still appreciated and remembered. We do not all get along all the time, who does, but remain faithfull to the cause. We respect each other's views. As we treat each other with respectfullness as we are mates and appreciate we are all different.

I know we will all have fun in london in November and wish to thank Keith Elliott for his organisational skills.

Best regards, James Partridge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:06 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Jim,

Why were you afraid to meet me? This is the first I've heard you say this.

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
From what I know of Jim, I'm sure he wasn't actually afraid of meeting you.
At times like this I wish I had a better command of the English language, I'm trying to put into words what I am feeling about meeting all you guys for the first time in November.

You mentioned that you were nervous at the last meeting, that's understandable, it's like going on a blind date.
We all talk on here and in some cases on the phone and by private mail but to actually meet you all face to face, to shake hands and share a beer or two will be great.
Having said that I feel a kind of nervousness....................an excited anticipation...........oh I don't know, I am sure there is a word for it but it isn't fear.

Roll on November, I can't wait.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:29 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Hello Wallace,
The post was not clear and did not come properly and was not what I meant to say.

I was not afraid to meet you or the other collectors. I should have said I was nervously-excited to be able to actually meet up with so many people I had had dealings with before. I now had the opportunity could put faces to the names and talk Mitchell to people who are passionate about the reels.

Hello Roy,
Thanks very much for trying to explain what I failed to say. It's appreciated.
Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Roy and Jim,

Sorry mates, it just had me wondering. Jim, James and I went out the first night and celebrated with a few (dozen) beers the first night. I remember feeling like I was with family from the very beginning to the end. I'm sure everyone who attends our meeting will feel the same. An international band of brothers sharing the same passion,,, I can't wait!

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:01 pm • #  
Global Moderator

A few dozen, blimey, I'd better start training for this right now, cheers Image

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am • #  
Administrator

Roy, I only had two beers, after that I can't remember Image

Q: How many "beers" are in one of your "pints" for heavens sake Image

Cheers!
Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:11 am • #  
Global Moderator

I'm learning all the time mate, I thought beer only came in pints Image

All the best Roy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 am • #  

Hi wallace,

A band of international brothers sounds great but after viewing the video for a second time could we please have the meeting at Mike,s house again!!!!!

Regardsmartin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Martin,

That was my first question to Mike. He said the distance between there and Keith's offices with traffic jams on the small road would take too long to travel back and forth.

I'll be happy with a clean bed, a meeting room and lounge wherever we stay. They are working on this Image

Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 am • #  

Hi Wallace,

I have to agree any traveling is a waste of valuable time, time when Mitchell Mates can be talking about reels or drinking the local brew.
What ever we decide to do i will be there for this occasion, please keep me informed.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

This 2nd meeting is being organized by Kieth Elliot of Classic Angling Magazine and Mike Read of the Mitchell Reel Museum. I'm sure one or both of them will announce the plans soon.

Best Regards,
Wallace

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply