Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:49 am • #  
Administrator

The most common question asked and definitely the hardest to answer. In addition to another topic "What's Any Fishing Reel Worth"; I'll try to answer this specific question but you may not like it! The truth is and most will agree the value of your reel is either what you just paid for it or what you're willing to sell it for and what a buyer will pay. Now that depends on your own knowledge or (worse for you, good for the buyer) what the buyer knows about your reel. In addition and most important is who's looking or worse, who's not! Another factor is why they're buying and even what country they live in as you will read later.

Now, on top of that, it depends on the appearance and mechanics of your reel. The looks of your reel is important but the appearance rating can only be determined by someone else if you're asking this question. Mechanical condition is also important but guess what; I love to find reels that's "stuck" which normally means it's just been sitting unused for a very long time. After a little maintenance, it's in perfect condition!

We can't leave out the reel's box and paperwork which in most cases can double the value of the complete package if original. The prices I'll pay are based mainly on the reel's total authenticity. Any with the wrong handle, spool, cover plate, stickers or any other incorrect features makes the reel a "Frankensteins" and worthless to me. It has been estimated that at least 60% of these wonderful reels sold on common auction sites are not completely authentic, mostly wrong boxes!

Why isn't it easy to put a value on the most common 300? Because within each Mitchell series such as the 300 (300/301) there are dozens of variations that would make a difference. Most people don't know that Mitchell collecting is relatively new and; as long forgotten information is gathered up and certified, eventually we will have enough knowledge to give definitive answers. Mitchell reels have been made since 1940 but there's very little information because most records were lost or destroyed during the mid seventies, the late seventies and again in the early eighties.

Our Mitchell Reel Museum is a place to go and study your reel. Look at the vintage advertisements, schematics and hopefully the Photo Gallery and from there you can find out a lot. How hard is it to find? On our Home Page look at Search and type in your reel's model number. That will pull up everything we have on our site on your reel!

There are reels like the Mitchell 499 "Special" 1st version which are what we call the odd number models or left hand (LH) or right hand wind. It's well known that a LOT fewer LH reels were made in all series which converts to rarity only averaging 10% of the total made of each release if any! I'm mentioning the 499 above because of other issues on this reel. The 498 series was and still is very popular in only a few parts of the world and Garcia's territory was not one of them. The "Special" sticker was used instead of the Garcia sticker. This 499 1st version was only made for a short period of time in the late sixties to early seventies.

Understanding that Garcia at the time was distributing nearly 80% of all Mitchell reels, that 80% also converts to 20% or less other advertisements on all other reels! Now we know this reel is very rare and one would think valuable, right? Maybe so to a collector but maybe not! For some reason most Mitchell collectors shy away from any LH odd-numbered reels knowing that in time the LH reels will eventually become the most valuable. Getting Back to values; now in this case it mostly depends on where the buyer lives! The 498 series (and the 496 series) was and still is extremely popular fishing reels in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Knowing all this and having this reel in hand, I don't know what it would sell for but I do know where to sell it half way around the world!

With all I've said, can you imagine all the factors on all the different models Mitchell made? I've left out a lot of information trying not to bore you to death, but I hope this helps.

Wallace Carney

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am • #  

Thank you so much for writing this, it has helped me a lot, regards Lyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:58 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Lyn, Welcome to our group. Sorry I just found this post from you and you are very welcome. These are not used cars with wholesale/retail values; these are just old fishing reels but not old enough to be worth fortunes. Buy and sell for only the amount you feel it's worth, that's the best we can do right now. Regards, Wallace

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 pm • #  

I'm thinking of starting to collect Mitchells. Is there a general buying guide to buying Mitchell's? I'm sure that some are worth more than others, but are some just not really worth anything? I know in certain cases, certain models of just about anything aren't very desirable maybe because of quality of the product, or there are just so many around that they just really aren't worth anything at all.
I picked up a Mitchell 300AM third series last year at a yard sale for 5 bucks with a rod included. For 5 bucks, I'm sure it was a good deal.
What I'd want is something that I can use to determine which models are worth the money, and are worth collecting. Certain features that indicate desirability? How to age a Mitchell? Essentially, a primer on Mitchell's and which ones are really worth having.
To go along with that, are the Garcia-Mitchell's less desirable? Please be patient with me, I'm brand new to all of this. But I will say that even years ago, if I found a Mitchell, I'd buy it. I've always heard about the 300 and know that they are considered a classic fishing reel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 am • #  

Hello, AmonStone,

Welcome to Mitchell Mates,
If this is any help for you i first started collecting Mitchell's some 4 years ago and made it my passion to collect every model that Mitchell made along with all the "Lefty" models too, well that soon changed when learning that not all Models like the 540 for instance had a left hand brother so to speak in other words NO 541.
With the collecting of reels and which way to go becoming more difficult i was made aware of the 1st book from Dennis Roberts which actually showed some of the model reels available, tried my luck on eBay to win one of these books but to no avail.  The book was hard to get without paying a large amount of cash for and eventually i got one, great book but it didn't do what i wanted it to so i sold it a week later.
Then came his value guide book which has sold well to date private and on eBay, in fact there are both books for auction on there at this moment. The book was helpful for me to a certain extent, some reels are questionable as they are artists renditions but non the less give you something to look for.
Now with a book full of pictures covering most models it became easier visually to collect these reels and as time went on and my knowledge of these reels became more greater,( experience is something you cant buy not even on eBay and its a big help ) i then set about joining forums and groups like the Yuku group here at Mitchell Mates and constantly reviewing updates on the Mitchell Museum to further my knowledge.
Getting the chance to become a moderator in the group here has helped me tenfold with my knowledge about these reels as i get to read all the threads that are posted, it will be good if you read most of the threads here, they can give you information on the Mitchell reel that most collectors took years to find out about, i say most as some reserve the right to keep quiet, which is their choice Image.
Anyway i hope you enjoy your collecting, dont be affraid to ask a question here in the group, we have some of the top collectors in the world at Mitchell Mates who are more than helpful with their knowledge Image.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:15 pm • #  

Thanks for the help Martin. I hear what your saying about experience. I collect a couple of other things, and over time, and with alot of research, I know basically what's what.
The thing is too, when I collect, I want EVERYTHING. So I guess asking which models of Mitchell's are worth collecting is kind of moot. :)
I can't imagine seeing a Mitchell and NOT buying it.
Actually, having said that, is it worth buying any Mitchell? I find one all mangled somewhere, still worth a purchase?
Thanks for the help Martin

Corey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:46 pm • #  

Hi Corey,

Yard sales or boot sales are great places to find some nice reels, of course you may also find some rare reels if you know what your looking for.
On a personal note i would buy reels at a steady rate just to learn about them, i would also make an effort to display what i purchase simply because if i cant see them then they just aswell be somewhere else, i'd rather collect than hoard.
Another part of my collecting is to buy reels of a high cosmetic/mechanical standard unless its a half bail i dont have any reels that have paint missing and have all been checked and lubed before putting in my display cabinets.
This is just me of course but i do know a couple of people who just bought every one they could then ended up with a house full of junk, took them weeks to get rid off reels which were of no significant value or worth half of what they paid for them, some made more money on the postage than they did the reel, so a saying i have here is " if you box clever, you wont get punch drunk".
Hope this helps.
Regards Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 am • #  

I'm prepared to sell my Mitchell 301.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:05 am • #  

I would consider that anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, simple as that. Sure items are rare and thereby limited however if going rate is assumed at $100 and you have been looking at completing a collection and missing this particular item for the last 10yrs then I would suggest $1000 may not be out of the question for that person or take my grandfathers beat up paint chipped salt crusted 302, to me is priceless and remains in the condition it was in when he died, to you this reel would be 10bucks if I was lucky.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:06 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Jr,

I do not think that anyone would disagree with you post except for the fact that I would not go that high even if it finished off my collection.  It the going reate was 100.00 then I might go 200.00.  Most collectors do try to stay within the budget and means while they collect.  The whole idea is the hunt and great find or catch and haring your find and achievement with your friends.    By the way I do have a few reels that are worth 100.00 and would gladly sell to you for a 1000.00 if you are interested Image
 Welcome to the group mate! and thanks for your post!  Cheers!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 am • #  

Thank you so much for writing this, it has helped me a lot, regards Lyn goldenslot

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply