300/300A

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Schrack

300/300A

Post by Schrack »

Looking at schematics of both reels, besides the bail configuration I found two parts I would like to know the difference.
1/ Drive Gear 300 part # 810033/34 300A part # 8254994/95 What is the difference?

2/ Pinion Gear 300 part #81049 300A Part # 82596.

The bail system is different on both but rotating head and trip etc are the same.

In the past I have installed a normal 300 bail system on the A only changing wire and screws. ( Awhile back purchased a new one and bail broke on second cast)

I am curious as to why the different part numbers.

Schrack

Re: 300/300A

Post by Schrack »

Did some research, 300A has a different set up inside, Gears such as Pinion Gear is alot digger and functions the same.
Bail is definitely different , but looks easy to work on.
Gee Schrack you are so smart!!!!!!!!!!!

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

I'm told the 300A gears are called M8 gears but I have never actually seen that written anywhere!

They are less fussy about shimming and tended to run a good deal quieter.
They were later fitted to all 300 reels but I don't know from just when, certainly all Taiwan-made reels have them.

The 300A bail arm was a three part steel composition that was less likely to get distorted in use than the chrome plated brass one of the 300 reel.

Technically the rotor is not the same as the 300A has different threaded lugs to take the bail arm mounting screws.

}<)))'> Bailarm
Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Roger Dat, seem to function slot smoother.
I must have purchased a lemon..
Used same mounting point to install 300 bail wire and screws, after modifying works like it was made for the Reel
.Have landed some nice ones with it.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

I Received my parts box and 3 300a's were in it, 1 trashed, good parts other 2 got back to running.
Well Bail problem on one, the end that just sits there was messed up, could not get to stay in, this is same problem I had with the original I purchased years back.
The piece appears to be made of plastic, Spring functions fine.
Well looks like I will install the old style bail system on this one, as I did with the original.
I know it will fit and works great.
Guess you would call it a 300 1/2.
It is an easy fix and Reel operates as it should.

Crappie54

Post by Crappie54 »

Schrack, Hi I am a new guy and I saw with interest about swapping out the 300A bail and associated parts with the parts from a 300. You said you made a modification to do the swap. Mind if I ask what type of modification you made. I have a 300A and the roller just don't work right so I want to swap it out. I think the bump stop had something to do with it because the line went past the roller and dug into the bail wire mount. Thanks for any help Butch

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Crappie54 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:10 pm Schrack, Hi I am a new guy and I saw with interest about swapping out the 300A bail and associated parts with the parts from a 300. You said you made a modification to do the swap. Mind if I ask what type of modification you made. I have a 300A and the roller just don't work right so I want to swap it out. I think the bump stop had something to do with it because the line went past the roller and dug into the bail wire mount. Thanks for any help Butch
Butch (Crappie54), :text-welcomeconfetti: Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
I don't think Schrack will mind if I answer your question. 8-)

All Mitchell 300A reels came with a roller line guide. Not all 300A reels have the same roller line guides and bail assemblies though. The first two 300A reels came with a one piece bail assembly which looks very similar to some of the earlier 300C one piece bails, both (300C & 300A) having a roller line guide. Both versions were distributed by Garcia and have the Garcia name on the cover plate.

The other five 300A versions have 5-piece bail assemblies that are similar but not exactly alike. If you post a photo of your 300A then I can tell you what version you have and the correct part numbers to use if you need to replace something. Hopefully, we can help you repair your existing bail.

I suggest you post your reply on the "Mitchell Reel Service Talk" board which is the correct location for this type of discussion.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Schrack wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:09 pm Looking at schematics of both reels, besides the bail configuration I found two parts I would like to know the difference.
1/ Drive Gear 300 part # 810033/34 300A part # 8254994/95 What is the difference?
2/ Pinion Gear 300 part #81049 300A Part # 82596.
The bail system is different on both but rotating head and trip etc are the same.
In the past I have installed a normal 300 bail system on the A only changing wire and screws. ( Awhile back purchased a new one and bail broke on second cast)
I am curious as to why the different part numbers.
Schrack,
Mitchell decided to change the gear system slightly with the 300A. The new system was called the M8 gear system but that designation was soon dropped for unknown reasons. The main change to the old 8-gear constant cycle system was with the addition of a face gear or castle gear replacing the old 81048 pinion gear. In addition, a new type of gear was needed to mate with the new face gear. Thus the old gear mounted on the rotating head was replaced. This change resulted in an increased gear ratio.
I do not remember what the exact drive gear differences between the 300 and 300A are at the moment. :geek: The pinion gears I covered above. :banana-dance:
You can use a bail from a 300 on a 300A but having a rotating line guide is far better on your line, especially modern line, than a fixed (friction) line guide. That's why they changed it. :lol:
You can not use the rotating head from a Mitchell 300 on a 300A gear train because of the change I spoke of earlier. :twisted:
You are welcome!
Bill

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Crappie sorry for delay in response.
The bail can be swapped without ant problems, you take existing one out and install old style.
Replacing bail wire, and screws, if memory serves me spring was the same.
I did not replace rotating head.
The original lasted two casts before it broke.
Also the handle knob broke replaced handle.
This made a good reel.
Don't know why that would have changed a system that worked ?
If you run into a problem let me know and We will work thru it.
As stated it is a simple fix.
Not sure if gears in rotating head are differant, that is why I only replaced wire and associated parts.
God Luck