Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:40 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This evening I was going through the Garcia Fishing Annual Gallery here in the Museum. In addition to collecting a Mitchell reel or two, I have also picked up a few of the Garcia Fishing Annuals - all of them: 1958 - 1979. What isn't included in the Gallery is that the 1962 Garcia Fishing Annual was also offered in hardcover! I believe that this is the only year that they did a hardcover.

Attachment:
Garcia Annual 1962.jpg

Also, the 1966 Garcia Fishing Annual had an advance sample copy for reasons unknown to me. The "Advance Sample Copy Not To Be Sold" is printed into the cover not stamped??

Attachment:
Garcia Annual 1966.jpg

Just a couple of additional Mitchell oddities to add to the Garcia Fishing Annual Gallery. I also have managed to collect most of the Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalogs (1952 - Browning Mitchell) and The Spin Fisherman booklets. Should any Mates have a research project, let me know.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:43 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Chris,

Yes there are a few interesting oddities that Garcia had done along the way. I would presume that Mitchell did also have oddities. though never found in catalog that I remember. Also check out the 1959 and 1960 Annual catalogs with same front cover and except for the 1st page they are pretty much identical throughout. :clap

Kind Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am • #  

Hey Chris,

Very nice items!

I've inserted a photo (below) of the 1962 hardcover Annual that shows the white spine a bit (from an auction years ago that I didn't win).

There were 2 Garcia hardcovers, 1954 and 1962. Presumably these were done for dealers/VIPs? They are relatively rare (compared to softcovers) and I've never seen a mail-in offer for a hardcover (unlike abundant offers for regular versions).

The 1954 hardcover includes the whole softcover issue inside. I've inserted scans of mine below.

John
Attachment:
Garcia 1962 Annual hardcover.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia 1954 Catalog hardcover.jpg
Attachment:
Garcia 1954 Catalog softcover.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am • #  

Hi Mates,

One, from the few of the Garcia softcover 1954 Catalogs that have come my way, had an inserted page on kits stapled to it.

John
Attachment:
Garcia 1954 Catalog kits insert 1.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia 1954 Catalog kits insert 2.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm • #  

Hi John,

Great information, thank you. I have a couple hardcover Garcia "The Spin Fisherman" and a number of the regular soft cover "mailer" editions. But have wondered about the hardcovers.
Attachment:
The Spin Fisherman Hardcover.jpg

The idea that these hardcovers went to VIPs and distributors would explain this letter which was enclosed in one of my hardcover copies.
Attachment:
The Spin Fisherman Hardcover letter.jpg

Based on my research, Dan Ryan was the director of Marketing and a Vice President at Garcia. The "Tom" he refers to in this letter is Tom Lenk, the President of Garcia........Probably not too many of these letters still hanging around. Interestingly, Dan is encouraging direct communication with Tom (next to last paragraph of the letter) so whoever this letter was sent to and original owner of this particular hardcover, probably wasn't your average "Salesman"!! I wish Tom had offered me that 50% discount on all Garcia products :sBo_bouncing2: . But at the time - I wasn't born yet :sSa_sadeyes:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 am • #  

Hey Chris,

:sSig_youtheman:

What a marvelous find! Kudos to your collecting work and research.

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:34 pm • #  

Hi Chris,
I also have a hard copy. Inside the front cover 1st soft page has a space 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" that looks to have had a glued in business card of some type but missing now. Did your letter come from the same area??? On a side note: page 36 has a Taylor Barometer exactly like one I have. Now for more research..........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sCo_hmmthink:

Also on page 27, that book would be great to have...........

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply