Handles on a 410A

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Regular_reel

Handles on a 410A

Post by Regular_reel »

Good Day All,

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me on handle changes on the 410A from the late 70s, through to the models of the early 80s please?

From some investigation, they initially seemed to have the rugby ball/(American) Football style grey handle end, similar to that on the 306, then possibly moved to a smaller darker (ergonomic shaped) handle end, more in line with those on the 300 and 440 models, is that correct please?

Also, the other end of the handle, seems to have the plastic cap darker on the models with the "newer" handle end/knob, but I have seen the lighter grey with the darker knob too.

Many thanks. :text-thankyouyellow:

Bonaventure

Re: Handles on a 410A

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello,

I looked at images online to find the grey handle that you describe. It appears identical to that on my Mitchell 900, which I purchased new about 1979. Maybe Mitchell designed the 410A to use the same part.

Best Wishes

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Hello,

Many thanks for the reply. :)

As you say, I am sure it makes good logistical and financial sense if they can use a number of same parts across a number of different reel families.
From looking, I think the 440A also uses a similar handle too.
Although from googling, and looking at a number of better known vintage tackle dealers (here in the UK at least), the 410A especially, has a number of different variations. I guess it's hard to know if they all came that way, or had other handles and bits added in later years.

Many thanks,

Steve

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hello Mates,

Maybe these images will help:

300A 410A GM900 1977.jpg
300A 410A GM900 1977.jpg (187.63 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
410A 440A 1978.jpg
410A 440A 1978.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
440A 1983.jpg
440A 1983.jpg (364.31 KiB) Viewed 3308 times

Wallace

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Thanks so much, those images are great, and give a really good insight. :text-coolphotos: :text-thankyouyellow:

It's interesting to even see the variation of the opposite end cap on the bottom image, being plastic, and the others metal above.

My 410A is a 1984 example, and has a similar end cap to the bottom image, but then the knob itself is different to all those shown. I will attempt to upload an image shortly of mine if I can.

It has also thrown up another variant I hadn't counted on, that of the end of the pivot point too, where some have the high speed markers etc. Mine is plain (the circles) as per the last image too.

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Guess my speculation that the handle on the 900 was the same on the 410 - and 440, panned out. these photos show it.

The last image in French is a bit amusing. It mentions "peche a l'anglaise". English style fishing. I think it refers to the Match fishing popular in England. Mitchell rolled right into that market niche with this reel.

Nothing good ever lasts. Iris Dement in "Our Town"

Best wishes,

Glen

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

You were spot on there with the 900. Funnily it’s not a reel I’d had much exposure to, so it was great seeing them all side by side in the picture there. They look a happy family.

Haha yes, I guess that is the way I mostly fish here in England still, bait fishing. I do lure fish too, but nothing like as regularly.

Funnily though, I actually don’t have a “Match” model. I really must get one!

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I don’t own one myself Steve. I made an offer on one, a 440, but the lady that owned it decided to keep it. It had belonged to her Grandfather so I understood. I usually offer $30 for a Mitchell 300 that works, I offered her $50 for the 440, which I thought was fair.

That was the only one I have seen here in Nova Scotia. Most fisherman here who use Mitchells have 300s.

I do not believe that the 900 was a successful venture. It was a skirted spool version of the 300, with bearing differences (i think) and a faster retrieve. I bought mine when I was posted to Trenton Ontario. It lost a screw and the line guide later when I was in Petawawa. I wasn’t able to find replacement parts there, Petawawa was a bit isolated. The reel languished around the house and vanished. I remember taking off the handle, but I don’t know where that is either. I caught a lot of fish with it, but I owned a 300 as well so just used it. In Ontario we were allowed to use 2 rods at the same time. Here in Nova Scotia only one is permitted. I now own 9 Mitchells.

All the best

Glen

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Hi Glen,

When looking on the big auction site, there are lots of the 440 Match models here in the UK, as mentioned, they seem to really be pretty much made for the UK market haha!
As you say, I guess the lady suddenly realised the sentimental value of the one you might have bought.

I actually almost bid on a 900 earlier that was online, but let it go when it started to climb in price. My worry was also on sourcing any parts.
Also, the same seller had a rather nice 840 Match, but that skyrocketed in bidding at the end too.

I love to get across the pond as often as I can, but not been in Canada since 2014, always around Ontario mostly. I must look up the areas you’ve mentioned.

Here in the UK a standard license allows you to use two rods, and for a small extra fee, you can use three. However, I generally use just one, then concentrate solely on that.

Nine seems like a sensible useable number to me. I need to count mine, but less than you.

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello again Steve, Wallace,

I want to thank you Wallace for these photos. You are always attentive and helpful in these posts and often contribute your advce and help like these photos. Thanks.

Steve, I saw some images of Mitchell 440As with the different handle. This handle has a plastic piece opposite the handle crank. This is a later handle and may be from the Taiwan version of the reel. I have seen this same handle on 300A reels.

I was born on Ontario in the area that lies between Lakes Erie and Huron. I came to Nova Scotia in 1966 with the Navy. I lived here two times during my military career for a total of 16 years out of 25 years that I served. I did 2 postings in Ontario and a 4 year posting in Germany. I retired in 1991. Iam back to working for the Navy as a civilian storesman.

Glen

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Yes, many thanks again Wallace for the pictures, they were really good to see, and demonstrated exactly my questions and gave some good answers to help me too.
:text-thankyouyellow:

You might well be right Glen, possibly it's one of those. I guess as the handle seems to work well for me, I shan't worry too much of it's origins too much further I guess haha :lol:

Wow, that sounds like you've had some amazing travels and posts too Glen, I hope it's all felt rewarding and good, as I assume it must have.

All the best,

Steve