Early Mitchell -Early reel pouch ?

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
JohnEboy

Early Mitchell -Early reel pouch ?

Post by JohnEboy »

Hi
I picked up an early reel recently and the chap selling his Father's old tackle seemed to think this pouch came with the reel and was possibly a Mitchell item , any thoughts ?

Ted Lanham

Re: Early Mitchell -Early reel pouch ?

Post by Ted Lanham »

JohnEboy,
The pouch is not from Mitchell, but the reel is a killer.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Ted Lanham wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:45 pm JohnEboy,
The pouch is not from Mitchell, but the reel is a killer.

Regards,
Ted Lanham
Thanks Ted
Really pleased with the reel .
The sellers father Frank used it spinning for Salmon on the river Dee , its nice to have some history with the reels .
John

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Yeah, I think someone who could sew made this pouch up from what looks like good materials. It is the sort of thing I have done myself from my days in the military. It is a really nice early Mitchell.

Glen in Nova Scotia

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Bonaventure wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:10 pm Yeah, I think someone who could sew made this pouch up from what looks like good materials. It is the sort of thing I have done myself from my days in the military. It is a really nice early Mitchell.

Glen in Nova Scotia
Thanks Glen , its a nice reel , i'm pleased with it .

I think you are right about the pouch being homemade , Ive had a closer look and it does seem old and well put together , but not commercially made . It does appear that the main body of the pouch may have originally been a jacket sleeve or something like that . I think it suits the reel so will continue to have the reel live in this pouch .

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

That's a second version Mitchell...rare to find in the States...would be great to see both sides of the transfer gear. Below is what they look like. Helps to determine how early of a second version.

Sandman
Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 12.16.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 12.16.12 AM.png (589.1 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
gear

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Sandman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:51 pm That's a second version Mitchell...rare to find in the States...would be great to see both sides of the transfer gear. Below is what they look like. Helps to determine how early of a second version.

Sandman
Thanks Sandman , I come across them from time to time and have 4 of them myself , quite often when people are selling or asking me about their reel and I explain the rarity they are no longer interested in selling or the price goes out of my reach .

This one and another I have were quite nice inside , The better ones I see seem to be relatively clean and relatively dry inside .

This one has transfer gear 4 . I will try and take some images and post up when I get the chance .
John