Collectors and those that daily fish them

Here you can show off your collection or share your favorite Mitchell fishing reels, catches and spots!
Mitchell 330

Collectors and those that daily fish them

Post by Mitchell 330 »

How many fish their collections?
I use my vintage reels to catch a good variety of fish and have low maintenance.
Mostly use 10 lb test or lighter, matching the line and tackle. (Prefer 6-8 lb test)
Love the 330 for ease of one hand casting.
Use the half bail 300 for small Snapper, Spanish mackerel flounder and trout.
Use a pair of 1969 300’s for all the larger species.
Most fish are in the one to 5 lb range.
(I also have Cobia and King mackerel rods set up for targeting anything bigger.)
Largest fish landed on a Mitchell 300 was 31.5 lb black drum. (Mistake)
The 300 is quite capable (durable) but recommend less than 8 lb fish. Prefer less than 5 lb.
The 330 seems to be more suited to less than 3 lbs, but is still quite capable of landing larger fish.
Reality is most fish caught are under 12” and run closer to 1 to 1 1/4 lbs, but, the most memorable are the most difficult to bring to the table.

What is your experience?

piscesman

Re: Collectors and those that daily fish them

Post by piscesman »

I fish with what I talk about and Conolon poles. If it's not Mitchell it stays pout of my hands!!!!!!!! Good fish so far....
KIm

reynolds531

Re: Collectors and those that daily fish them

Post by reynolds531 »

I just got back home from a two and a bit month trip to Ontario for salmon and steelhead-rainbow fishing near Georgian Bay. I managed about twenty days of river fishing. The first six weeks were very disappointing. Things changed in mid October. I ended up with four very nice rainbows of about 5-10 pounds. I used my 304 quite a bit mostly with 8 pound fluorocarbon line (P-line). I really got to like this reel and wished that I had used it years ago. It might benefit from a dab of medium strength thread locker on the handle threads. I was always a 300 guy. I used my 308 as much as I could. I had some line issues with it that I believe were a problem with the braided and fluorocarbon line I used. I really got to hate the Sufix braid and Sun Line fluorocarbon line. These were the highest rated and expensive lines. I had always been a monofilament user. I probably did not give my overly large stash of 300s enough of a go. They are a bit on the heavier side for an all day spinning lure session. Next year I will give the 314 a good go and thank you Schrack for your advice and sending me a 304 shaft. This really solves the big issue of 314 spools or lack thereof.

For the record: I have landed at least three steelhead/rainbows in excess of thirteen pounds with my trusty 300. I was much younger in those days.