Mitchell 401 Special

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
davidchapman

Mitchell 401 Special

Post by davidchapman »

I have just acquired my second 401 Special. The number on the foot is. 478785 Could someone tell me please. What date was the reel made. Thanks :?:

Regards
David

Ted Lanham

Re: Mitchell 401 Special

Post by Ted Lanham »

davidchapman,
It's not out of the ordinary for in the stamping of serial numbers on Mitchell reels for either partial, incomplete SN to appear. The 6-digit number you ask about would have been placed on a Mitchell back in the 50's, but 401s weren't in production that early, according to Wallace's information. Take another look at at the reel under better lighting, and make sure that there's not another number either at the beginning or the end of the digit string.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

George Saul's new book " The Mitchell Century" states that the first 401 reels were released in 1963, so they should have a seven digit serial number.

It's technically possible to build up a '401' reel on an older 301 body but it would probably have a poorly matching side cover to body if you kept the original 401 side cover.

Sometimes a digit is poorly stamped and can hardly be seen. Tricks like a dusting with talcum powder and off-set lighting can help.

}<)))'> Bailarm
davidchapman

Post by davidchapman »

There is possibly a 1 in front of the number 1478785 but it is very faint. I hope this helps. Just an add on to this item. Does anyone know if it is possible to get replacement red bail bumpers 81104 for this reel and other models of the same period ? I have 65 Mitchells in the 300/400 series, some of which have partly lost these red bail bumpers. Thanks

Regards
David

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

davidchapman,
Adding the number one isn't going to help much. The 1478785 would date it to 1956 which is again too early. I've not been a collector of the 400 series, but I do believe that those reels that had that red bail bumper were the early models and were done away with in later. Possibly, around 1969.
I think if there is a missing number it either might be a 4 or a 7, or an alpha character.
Maybe, one of the mates with more 400 series knowledge will help out here.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

davidchapman

Post by davidchapman »

OK Thank you for your help. I think I will let it go now but again I thank anyone who has tried to help me. I would just like to add, that I have, after a lot of searching found five red bail bumpers. Two are the early dome shape and three a slightly later flat shape in an original Mitchell bag with its label and marked 410/411 stating twelve per bag, but only three were left. Both types marked 81104 :lol:

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

davidchapman,
I think you were lucky to find those bumpers. I don't think I've ever seen them for sale.

Regards,
Ted Lanham