What is the Significance of the Label?

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
JeepJeff

What is the Significance of the Label?

Post by JeepJeff »

I see the "red oval label with the fish and line" all over the place on this site and own a reel with it on the side. Is there a special meaning to that label? Does it make my reel more collectable?

piscesman

Re: What is the Significance of the Label?

Post by piscesman »

Hello Jeff, and welcome to this site. :text-welcomeconfetti: If I'm understanding you correctly you are referring to the avatar symbol you have by your "ID" here. It's a fish logo with Neptunes Trident. That "symbol" means it was sold to be distributed to the European market. As you investigate more with Mitchell you will see venders label or name inscribed on the reel. Means it was made for that country's distribution. Mitchell also had "special" labeled reels that were made for the European market distribution. Hope this helps.
Kim

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

:text-goodpost: and response.

JeepJeff

Post by JeepJeff »

Coolness, and thanks for the great reply! :text-thankyouyellow: I have a bunch of Mitchell reels like 5 x 300, 301 right hand, 306, 3 x 308, 386, 408. Probably get another 386 and 10' medium action for Walleye and/or Trout-n-Salmon trolling. I live on the Saginaw Bay so Lake Huron Perch and Walley are big around here.

daniel998

Post by daniel998 »

As someone who enjoys fishing myself, I think that particular label is actually a symbol of the Shimano brand, which is a well-respected name in the fishing industry.

While I'm not sure if having that label on your reel would necessarily make it more collectable, I do think that owning a Shimano reel is something to be proud of. In my experience, Shimano produces high-quality fishing gear that is built to last. Their reels are often designed with features that make them ideal for specific types of fishing, such as spinning reels for freshwater fishing or conventional reels for saltwater fishing.

So, while the label on your reel may not have any direct impact on its collectability, I do think it's a nod to the quality of the product you own. Whether you're a serious angler or just enjoy the occasional fishing trip, having a reliable reel is key to making the most of your time on the water.

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

daniel998 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:15 am As someone who enjoys fishing myself, I think that particular label is actually a symbol of the Shimano brand, which is a well-respected name in the fishing industry.

While I'm not sure if having that label on your reel would necessarily make it more collectable, I do think that owning a Shimano reel is something to be proud of. In my experience, Shimano produces high-quality fishing gear that is built to last. Their reels are often designed with features that make them ideal for specific types of fishing, such as spinning reels for freshwater fishing or conventional reels for saltwater fishing.

So, while the label on your reel may not have any direct impact on its collectability, I do think it's a nod to the quality of the product you own. Whether you're a serious angler or just enjoy the occasional fishing trip, having a reliable reel is key to making the most of your time on the water.
Daniel998,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
I believe that Shimano didn't start making fishing reels until 1971, so I doubt that the avatar being discussed had anything to do with the reels made in Japan. Although, Japanese manufactures, early on, were famous for copying products made elsewhere. Maybe, they copied the avatar too.

Regards,
Ted Lanham