Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:24 pm • #  

Just got a 350 at a flea market. Judging by the serial number, I think it was made in 1958. All of the oil and grease had settled in the back of the reel and dried up. Probably was parked in a shed on a rod for years and gravity caused everything to settle to the back of the reel. I am looking for a few parts and advice. Can you substitute parts from other models? The trip lever was bent over so much that it was not catching the bail anymore. I may try to straighten it but if i can get a reasonable replacement i might try that. Will a 300 trip lever work? The spring on the ant-reverse dog is corroded. It still seems to work, but i don't have much faith in it lasting. I might replace the bail spring as well. I think I should replace the brake spring and teflon washer as well. Any advice on sourcing parts would be appreciated.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings sleddog,
I'm not sure if any of the mates have yet given you a big :sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum, so here it is.
I don't claim to be an expert on the 350s, but I'd think that the parts your asking about may be the same as the ones used on the 300s.
You may be able to do searches on eBay for each part, and many suppliers will list the part numbers and the models use that part.
I have a cross reference for part numbers, but it uses the later 5 digit part numbers. The parts shouldn't be expensive depending where you live. You'd want to buy from where the shipping is the cheapest.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm • #  
Administrator

It would help if you compare the 350 schematic http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/368 to the 300 schematic http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/345.

Regards, Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:28 am • #  

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I keep finding more info every time I browse the site. Even though the serial number on the reel points to 1958, I suspect the spool is newer. I have now acquired a couple of extra spools. The drag washers are missing so will have to do a search for those. Any recommendations on replacement drag washers?
To be honest, I don't know why I bought that old reel. I never heard of Mitchell until last week and I don't consider myself a collector. I guess it just spoke to me, and the price was right. When I got it home and started doing some internet searches on it, one of the first sites I found was yours and I eventually dated it at 1958. Turns out, the old reel is the same age as me. It was a little stiff from the dried grease, and has a couple of battle scars, but I think it will go well with my old House of Hardy rod. Hope to use it on a trout pond nearby.
One final question... After doing some reading, I have decided to get a saltwater reel. I wouldn't mind a classic 302, but would be interested in any advice.
Ken

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply