Very strange transfer geat and an extremely late 3rd version housing.

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Tim Sansbury

Very strange transfer geat and an extremely late 3rd version housing.

Post by Tim Sansbury »

I just got this 4th verson reel and there are two interesting things about it. The first I noticed is it's serial number, 235892, on a 3rd verson housing. Unless there's been a later sn found since the publication of the book, this is the latest 3rd verson housing. Second, the transfer gear is very unique. It resembles the first ones made when experimenting with cross winding. Has anyone seen an example of this gear before?
Attachments
3rd version housing sn 235892
3rd version housing sn 235892
20231020_185825.jpg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
Very strange transfer gear.
Very strange transfer gear.
20231020_190121.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

Rockape

Re: Very strange transfer geat and an extremely late 3rd version housing.

Post by Rockape »

SnowBelt wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:55 am I just got this 4th verson reel and there are two interesting things about it. The first I noticed is it's serial number, 235892, on a 3rd verson housing. Unless there's been a later sn found since the publication of the book, this is the latest 3rd verson housing. Second, the transfer gear is very unique. It resembles the first ones made when experimenting with cross winding. Has anyone seen an example of this gear before?
My own 4th gen reel (pre widend oil port) has the plastic transfer gear: 6 digit serial 146272, and my slightly later one (pre widened oil port: 6 digit serial: 210470) has the same transfer gear as yours, as does my widened oil port example: serial 401044.

Tim Sansbury

Post by Tim Sansbury »

Very intresting. This is the first 4th version I've found this transfer gear in.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

SnowBelt, Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM) :text-welcomeconfetti:
SnowBelt wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:55 am I just got this 4th verson reel and there are two interesting things about it. The first I noticed is it's serial number, 235892, on a 3rd verson housing. Unless there's been a later sn found since the publication of the book, this is the latest 3rd verson housing. Second, the transfer gear is very unique. It resembles the first oes made when experimenting with cross winding. Has anyone seen an example of this gear before?
Let's start with the housing. If possible, could you post a photo of the housing in question? When/if you post your photo, I suggest we discuss the differences between 4th version housings and 3rd version Mitchell 300 housings.

You refer to "the book" but there are several books out there so could you tell us which one you are referring to?

Now let's discuss the transfer gear in question. There were a great many different transfer gear designs made for the 1/2 bail reels. Most of these were designed for level-wind gearing. However, there were some exceptions and these reels had cross-wind gearing. These reels are sometimes identified by their red handles and are quite rare.

As the 1/2 bail (3rd version) reel production was coming to the end, new full bail reels (4th version) were being introduced. Wallace has coined the term "Pilot Reels" for these first 4th version reels which have cross-wind gears, full bail, along with several unique characteristics. Shortly after the Pilot reels were phased out, some of the first 4th version reels which appeared, had an experimental transfer gear made out of plastic. Two different types of plastics have been found which were used to make these gears, so far, and there may be other types of plastic as well. The plastic transfer gears were quickly phased out and replaced with an aluminum alloy transfer gear.

When identifying the 4th version reels there were some changes that occurred at first and then some later and the transfer gear is one such change. If you look at the photograph you have included, you will see that your transfer gear looks just like the later 4th version transfer gears. Now you don't show us the reverse side of the gear and so I should add that the previous statement is true providing the reverse side looks like the 4th version.

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Mates,
While I was editing my last post I ran out of time and the changes were not saved. Here is what I meant to write in my last paragraph: :text-imsorry: :text-lol:

When identifying the 4th version reels there were some changes that occurred at first and then some later and the transfer gear is one such change. If you look at the photograph you have included, you will see that your transfer gear looks just like the early Pilot transfer gears. Your transfer gear also looks like the later 3rd version 1/2 bail transfer gears only yours is for cross-wind gearing. If you look closely you will see a small steel pin in your gear near the center. The small pin was eliminated (changed) for later aluminum alloy 4th version gears.

Now you don't show us the reverse side of the gear and so I should add that the previous statement is true providing the reverse side looks like the 4th version.

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hello Mates,

I don’t have anything much to add in this topic, but these may help I hope?
IMG_0541.jpeg
IMG_0541.jpeg (370.61 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
IMG_0542.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg (376.55 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
Best Regards,
Wallace

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Good to see Wallace back again missed your knowledge, hope you are well, regards Allan

Tim Sansbury

Post by Tim Sansbury »

So, I had already started a 4th version study when I found this transfer gear. At the time, I had no idea these transfer gears were in the 4th version reels. This really drove me to start keeping detailed notes on all of them that I had. That cause me to fall into an absolute rabbit hole and collect evem more of them. What started off as trying to answer a question about a single gear ended up as obsessing about every part.

What I've found is there is a pretty specific stretch of time when this was the predominant transfer gear used. There is a smattering of plastic gears in this stretch but the pinned metal gear out numbers them by at least 4 to 1. I have a theory as to why but I'd like to amass more data to test it.

Along the way I managed to note quite a few other changes that were made in that version. At this point, I've studied around 35 reels that cover the entire span of the 4th version. I have quite a few more on the way for study.

Once I'm confident that I can answer all the questions with solid data, I plan on posting the results of the study here. It'll be pretty a big gear geek sort of thing. I think some of us will find it interesting.