304 vs 314

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Baron2

304 vs 314

Post by Baron2 »

I have some newer reels and I have many types of reels. I prefer the older stuff. I have a 304 that has worked its way into my heart and into my preferred rod and reels combo for lite casting work. It is perfect for slower speed offerings like spinners and some plastics. I like it for a couple of reasons, none of which are virtuous. I like its speed (medium/slow), I like its crispness and the fact that the rotor turns the proper direction. I've had it completely apart and it is the definition of simply built. All of that is good. Anyone would like it for those reasons. But the main reason I like it is its shape. It is about the last design of any brand whereby the planetary gear is housed in a visibly identical but larger shape. It represents an era that has passed and yet it still catches my eye. I also have an old Airex and hope to have more round bodied reels some day, even those of other brands.
Recently I noticed a model 314. I had missed that somehow and wanted to see if someone is actively fishing one of these. I can't clearly see the size but it seems to be in the middle of the 304 and the 302. I'd love to hear your take on this model.

Best!
Don Tyson

Bonaventure

Re: 304 vs 314

Post by Bonaventure »

Good Day Mitchell mates

I may be wrong about this, but i believe the body is the same as a 304. The 314 has the button on the end of the drag knob that removes the spool assembly.

The later 320 and 324 were similar, the 320 had the spool screw on with the drag nut. Like the 314, the 324 had a push button spool change. They also had different anti-reverse levers. My first mitchell was a 320.

I own a 304 and it is a nice reel.

Best wishes

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Good morning Glen and all,
The 304 is so mechanical it sounds like music. The speed and sound is addictive during Beetle Spin season.
I'm looking for something a bit bigger than the 300/400/410 size. While it is nice that I'm finally learning the model numbers I haven't held many of these reels yet. Is the 306 any bigger the a the above yet smaller than the Saltwater 302 which I have.
I have the opportunity to fish for LL Salmon and Lakers next year. This lake is famous for 6 and 7 lb bass, healthy sized Pickerel and Channels but is especially known for its big trout and salmon. I thought it may be fun to upsize in reels and carry a bigger stick. When back in the stumps I can use the 304 and various Johnson Spincast. When in open water I can use bigger stuff like my Penn Z and DAM285. But it would be nice to have Mitchell that size as well.

Kwd

Post by Kwd »

Yes the 306 is larger than the 300 and smaller than the 302

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Thank you sir!
I'll find a deal on one some day.