Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: No Idea ??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I recently received this reel from a seller in Spain and I'm at a loss for words on this one. Clearly a home built reel but of exceptional craftsmanship. It has a tiered spool that looks to me like it was manufactured for another tournament casting reel manufacturer and fitted to this Mitchell.
Attachment:
Home Made Caster.jpg

The line pick-up is obviously bench work but operates smooth and flawlessly - typical Mitchell bail snap. The faceplate indicates an early 1960s Mitchell 330 otomatic but the rotor cup is from a Mitchell 300 as is the baffle plate and axel which is a standard length 300 (no OTO) marking on the axel.
Attachment:
Home Made Caster 1.jpg

There is no serial number and the entire reel is stripped of paint.
Attachment:
Home Made Caster 2.jpg

The handle knob is wood which may be from a manufacturer or home made. The anti-reverse dog and spring rod has been removed. The reel came caked with old grease and dirt/sand but after cleaning, spins as smoothly as my "Wedding Cake" Mitchell Tournament Casting Reel. A very interesting reel which I thought I would share. Whoever made it did a very fine job. Interested in your thoughts and observations on this one.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: No Idea ??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:18 am • #  

Chris, thanks for sharing. I was watching your reel on eBay and was a bit confused but intrigued. I'm glad you won it. Very interesting piece. Regards, Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:53 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
I love that reel. I can't imagine the time it took to tweak it till he got it right.
Have you thought about loading it up with line and trying it out? You might be able to throw a bait across the Chesapeake Bay. ;)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 pm • #  

Thanks Dennis and Ted,

I too was intrigued with this reel when I first saw it and had to have it.....It's like a piece of Mitchell "Folk Art". It's not real old as far as collecting goes but certainly a one-of-a-kind. Ted, that's a good idea - I think I've got some 2# Platyl sitting around here somewhere :-)

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply