Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:54 am • #  
Administrator

Johnny Dieckman Bait Casting

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Last edited by mitchellreels on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:58 am • #  

Hello,

I've seen some cool stuff before but these movies take the cake. Many thanks to all involved for their man-hours and dollars that went into this preservation. I would like to suggest that this bait casting movie dates to 1960-1961. I would base this guess on three things.

1. The HI-FI lure Johnny is using was first advertised in the 1960 Trade Catalog. The HI-FI appears to be a cross between the ABU Roulette body (top pic) and the ABU Sonette blade (2nd pic). Both of these lures were first sold in Sweden in 1958. Thank you Steen for the pics and input!

As a side note, I question the Garcia claim that "After years of research, Garcia has developed the amazing new HI-FI lure". It appears more likely that this really an ABU development.

ImageImage

2. The rod Johnny is using is labled model 2214. The earliest I can find Garcia rods with four digit (numerical only) model numbers is in an April 1959 Parker Distributor ad. The 2214 was not in this ad. However, we can see the 2214 in the 1959 ad that Wallace has shared with us here. http://www.mitchellreels....mit=12&limitstart=12

3. Lastly, with the potential to push the date to 1961-62, I've looked at the Ambassadeur 5000 several times and I'm not seeing oil holes in either of the chrome side caps. These holes were discontinued mid 1961.
ImageImage

Wallace, can you look closer at you digital original copy and see if there is any evidence of these holes? Youtube makes it difficult to do a frame by frame when the sun is shining on these parts.

Any other opinions on dating this particular clip?

Regards,

Rob

Last edited by bass4me on Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Rob,

The date was based on many factors, too many to write down right now, but to summarize:

1- Johnny Dieckman worked for NARMCO who made the Conolon rods (starting in 1946/47) long before Garcia bought them. He did rod design and of course testing. Note they never mention "Garcia Conolon" in any of the movies.

2- It would not surprise me if he was using rods and lures not yet available to the public, advertised that is.

3- You're only seeing 15 minutes of near three hours of film. Throughout these Garcia claims many things including they're the largest fishing tackle manufacturer in the world. In talking to Doug DeSimone, he said this was an advertising ploy and the claim was true. Garcia bought a company called Kingfisher, mainly making braided fishing line. The Garcia Kingfisher reel made them a reel manufacturer. Largest is based on gross annual sales according to them, not how many reels. I would agree ABU made the lure but with Garcia's involvement and having exclusive rights in North America to their products, selling over 60% of Abu worldwide sales.

Wait to you hear about Garcia's "new" line of reels made in 1962 Image

4- Wayne Real of http://www.realsreels.com helped with the Ambassadeur dating, I know enough to be dangerous. I'll try to get him to reply here.

5- Last but most important, look at the film on Spin Fishing, shot at the same exact time, and tell me what year you think this one is. He's using a Mitchell 300 no Garcia with the yellow stickers, both are seen.

I'll try to get Wayne and others for more opinions, better than me, I just do the best I can Image

Cheers, Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm • #  

Hello,

The rod model started me wondering here, and the lure along with the reel details seemed consistent. I would agree Johnny would be using his latest toys. I've been trying to date rods for many years...tough to do looking at pics in ads. I believe up to 1959-60, the Garcia rod ads (not Conolon) had alpha-numeric model numbers like "474MC". Here is some info I found on Johnny from 1957 Outdoor Life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 pm • #  
Administrator

See Tim Barton's NARMCO site for all the information on Conolon history at

http://www.geocities.com/..._narmco_conolon_rods.htm

Tim is currently working on a NARMCO Conolon / Garcia Conolon update

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Rob, Tim has given me the okay to share some of what he has sent me so I opened a new forum on Conolon.

Some of the information on his inactive site has been updated.

Regards, Wallace

Last edited by mitchellreels on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply