Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:22 am • #  

The Museum Glossary states:

"... the Garcia Wedge Sticker first used in the fifties. These were first used as advertisement and on Garcia Mitchell reels boxes and eventually used directly on reels. This became Garcia’s Logo that was red with the word Garcia in white."

https://mitchellreels.ourboard.org/glossary.html

This is correct, but I think it might be more accurate to say, "first used in 1959" (see trademark text below). I don't see it in Garcia catalogs until 1960.

John

Attachment:
US0736348 trademark Garcia wedge.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia patch Red Wedges.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm • #  

Mates,

I just realized there is a registered trademark (see below) for the Garcia red wedge ("The drawing is lined for the color red"), not just the Garcia wedge (posted above).

Also since my post above, I have learned some more about trademark registration from several different blogs by trademark lawyers. The date most relevant to US trademark protection is the date of first use in commerce – this takes precedence over the application date. Use in commerce is defined as the mark being associated with a product that is sold or transported. Advertising, for example in a magazine, does not count towards this. Documentation of first use in commerce must be provided to USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) by the applicant, in order to make that claim.

To summarize the Garcia wedge first use in commerce:

Wedge: 16-Nov-1959

Red wedge: Nov-1959

Attachment:
US0736722 trademark Garcia wedge_red.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 am • #  

Correction:

Red wedge: Nov-1960

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply