Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: The Last of Garcia USA?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:11 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I was going through some old files after reading a couple of posts which spurred a memory and came across these....I really need to better organize my reference material :sCh_taz: .

These fliers/advertisements were sent to Garcia Mitchell Dealers, Distributors and Sales representatives in the very late 1970s I believe these represent the very last breath of Garcia Mitchell in the USA :sSa_sadeyes: . They emphasize the "New Garcia", but it wasn't - they knew they were broke and going down fast but were essentially asking their business base to stick with them. Note the Teaneck, NJ address (This will be of note in the next post).

Attachment:
1979 Garcia Ad.jpg

Attachment:
1979 Garcia Ad 2.jpg

As we know the "New" Garcia Mitchell 908 came into being in 1978 which along with the Ambassadeur 54 (of which I know nothing about :bored ) apparently were the hopeful saviors of the company - the Garcia Mitchell 900 and 906 were introduced the year before before.

Continued:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:34 pm • #  

Hi again Mates,

Here is the last of my advertising. Of specific interest is the mention of 1979 (circled) and the "New Location" after August 15th.
Attachment:
1979 Garcia Ad 3.jpg

Attachment:
1979 Garcia Ad 4.jpg

I feel like I'm reading the obituary of Garcia Mitchell (USA) when I review these documents :sSa_sadeyes: . Unfortunately we now know how this turned out...I think Garcia USA could see their future too but I'm not sure the individual Dealers, Sales People did.

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am • #  

Hello Chris, Seeing those adverts for Garcia of yours is enough to make a grown man cry . It's a shame to see a great company go downhill , much like the Bethlehem Steel here in Pa. Hopefully all the Mates will preserve what they have for as long as they can and maybe a new generation will take over . Have to stop, eyes getting cloudy! Regards John in Pa.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:42 pm • #  

Chris, thanks for the welcome on the other thread. A a point of reference I would like to submit the following from the ABU-Garcia website:

“1984 – The company name is changed from ABU to Abu Garcia when a company distributor in the US called Garcia was combined with ABU”

I find that interesting.

I think, but I’m not convinced that Garcia USA and Garcia Canada were tied together somehow.

In Canada, from an official Canadian government Federal Corporation Registry, I found this information.

Garcia Outdoor Sports, Ltd existed from May 29, 1967 to May 20, 1980, at which time the name was changed to Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc.

Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc. existed from May 20, 1980 until September 17, 1984 (coincidentally the same year ABU took over Garcia USA and also the year Browning Arms was dropped as the Mitchell distributor in the USA).

Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc. then, in 1984, became a weird holding company called “134987 Canada Limited”, which was dissolved totally 1997.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:31 am • #  

I like to talk, to exchange experiences in this forum. It is very good to very good..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Chris,

Garcia had two companies. After the Garcia bankruptcy, Garcia Tackle tried to take over but when the bankruptcy courts found out, they were forced to quit because both had the same owners.

Regards,
Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,

Thank you for the insight. Is it fair to assume that the "New Location" on the second advertising flyer is for Garcia Tackle? Perhaps before they got caught?

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply