Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 am • #  

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/ ... definitive

Attachment:
emp-mitchell.jpg

Attachment:
les-representants-des-salaries-devant-le-tribunal-de-bonneville-photo-le-dl-ph-c-1508313660.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 pm • #  

Hey Laroupane,

You are in France?

Very sad news.

I saw news reports about this last September and December, wondering if it really would happen.

As you report, it has. Clearly, the last 31 Mitchell workers are not happy and understandably so.

Recently I went to check the Mitchell website about what they said on history. The site still has no update or explanation:
Quote:
… In 1990... The company moved its headquarters and R&D to Marignier, France, where it is still located today

http://www.mitchellfishing.com/Mitchell ... chell.html

Can we say Mitchell lives on in the collectors’ community and MRM? And of course, the historic influence it has had on the design of spinning reels?

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 am • #  

J Fishkat wrote:
Hey Laroupane,

You are in France?

Yes, i live in France

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm • #  

Laroupane,

Has this been a local/regional news story or has it also received some national attention? Have there been any news stories about how the general public and/or fishermen have reacted?

Have there been any announcements how the Mitchell brand name will continue?

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:45 am • #  

Hello John,

The information was mainly local: local newspapers, local televisions.

A national fisheries newspapers has launched a petition on the internet (link below)

http://www.lepecheurdefrance.com/news/f ... -en-france

Attached copy of the extract from the registry of the Commercial Court stating that Mitchell is deregistered on January 4, 2018, therefore no longer exists

The story started 70 years ago is over

Best regards

Attachment:
Scan info greffe.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 pm • #  

Greetings to all the Mates , After reading the posts about what I believe is the demise of the Mitchell brand it's enough to bring tears to my eyes. I only hope that this doesn't discourage any of the Mates from participating in the forum . I know the brand will forever live on in my heart ( as heavy as it is right now )for as long as I live. I'm sure there are a lot of tears in France at this time. R.I.P. MITCHELL. Regards ,John in Pa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 am • #  

Hello,
Chinese Mitchell !!!!!, shame on those who destroyed part of the French heritage, heritage shared by millions of fishermen in the world

Some translations of newspaper articles or French sites.

“Who would have imagined that one day the French flagship of fishing would disappear from the Haute-Savoie landscape? Yet this is what the group Newell concocted, when he bought it. Tomorrow night at midnight, Mitchell will no longer exist. Oh, of course, the brand will endure in a logo stuck on reels developed in China, but the expertise and passion of those who have animated Mitchell since 1947, it has been fading for a few weeks, over the chant redundancies. An industrial and economic mess. But beyond, the end of Mitchell signs the end of a local myth”

“Unfortunately, Mitchell, who arrived at the Hall of Fame in the world of fish, has just taken note of his brutal demise, orchestrated in the most brutal way by his protean owner, Newell Brands, who makes condoms and pens, rubber gloves as well as strollers ... And so, fishing reels"

"It's a fact, with the definitive closing of Mitchell, it's the face of fishing that changes forever and an adventure book that closes in the Arve Valley”

"Seventy years that the brand is needed around the water, at the edge of each river, aboard each boat. Over the years and water, Mitchell has gone from a simple mark to a symbol. After all, it is this French brand, even Clusienne, that has revolutionized the planetary design of fishing reels"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 pm • #  

Sad but inevitable. And I can't help but think that many of us have had a hand in this.

The last Mitchell reel I bought was just this past Tuesday, but it was made in 1966. The last Mitchell reel I bought when it was new was in 1977. My love is for products they haven't made in decades, not the new stuff. So it's the chicken or the egg; did we stop buying because they changed or did they change because we stopped buying. But the real disservice here it that they will continue to use, and I do mean USE, the Mitchell name long after everything that made it an icon is dead and gone.

Tradition use to be a casualty of time and technology. Now it's just as much a casualty of the lowest bidder. Maybe that should be Mitchell's new motto.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

I think we also have a generational thing here too...

How many of today's consumers were around during Mitchell's heyday to realize the difference in what was being produced then and now???

Have you looked at or seen the names of today's reels???

Totally ridiculous for a fishing reel!!!

Generations change and it's just the "old timers" that remember what life once was...

On a brighter note, does this make your collections more valuable???

Reely

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply