Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm • #  

Does one exists? Something that provides a history of the company, the products, pictures, charts, ads, etc. I've looked and haven't found anything.

Garcia Mitchell/Conolon is no less an industry icon than Harley-Davidson, Winchester or the Corvette (with no less a following) and yet no one has written such a book? I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Komta,
:sSig_welcome4: to The Mitchell Reel Museum.
I think your are in luck!! A very recent string that was posted yesterday lists most of the books on the Mitchell subject. Just go to the Mitchell Reel Talk link, then click on "All Things
Garcia/Mitchell". Page two of that string will show you the books I'm talking about.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm • #  

Welcome Komta,
But there is no book written exclusively for this company. It would be great but the undertaking for such a book would be enormous. Starting from beginning to end through ups and downs and companies there would be gaps on information that one could not prove. A general "book" would be to purchase catalogs from various years and go from there......
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:53 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Komta,
Please disregard my post. Must have been an ole-timers minute on my part. :sAng_banghead2: My brain just didn't recognize the mention of Conolon . Thankfully piecesman cleaned it up for me.
Sorry,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 pm • #  

Hello Komta,

Welcome to the Mitchell Museum :sSig_welcome2: .

I have to agree; Narmco and Conolon made so many rods and in so many variations that it would be almost impossible to catalog in a single volume. As Ted and Kim stated the production of these fine rods is documented in many publications but I don't know of a single book/publication that captures all of them and the history of the company/companies - they also exported blanks / parts to Europe to be made under the Balzer and Mitchell name over there. Should you decide to take on the project, I'd be happy to contribute and count me in on the initial run of your book.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 pm • #  

All,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure such a book would be any more difficult that the multiple books that are out there on the billions of antique/vintage fishing lures. But what do I know?

What provoked all of this was me trying to match Conolon rods and Mitchell reels, getting the specs, finding out the actual difference between a 3 star and 5 star rod, etc. The "Model's tab for this site got me started but I couldn't tell what the difference was between a Mitchell 300 and 440. It was the "Gallery" tab with the ads that has added so much to my knowledge. I'm hungry and want more.

We live in a world were people have written coffee table books about dogs swimming underwater or the ugliest Christmas sweaters but not about Garcia Mitchell reels. I'm officially depressed now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 am • #  

Hey Chris,

Add ABU (Sweden) to the list of Narmco/Conolon exports. From 1952 to 1969 (when ABU set up their plant in Scotland), the vast majority of tubular fiberglass rods by ABU were made using Narmco/Conolon blanks. Conolon blanks also went to Australia (I don’t recall dates when), which avoided import tariffs because the completed rods were Australian made.

Hey Komta,

I agree with what Kim (Piscesman) wrote above. If you want to learn about matching Mitchell reels with Narmco/Conolon rods (as well as more details about the rods), consider acquiring Garcia Annuals and/or Tackle Catalogs from the years of your interest.

You can see some example Garcia catalog pages at Wayne Reals’ site on vintage ABU (click images for enlargements):
http://www.realsreels.com/RodsGarcia.html

Tim Barton had posted an excellent history of Narmco on an earlier version of the MRM:
https://mitchellreels.ourboard.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=615

Warm regards,
John
Attachment:
RodsGarcia1960TradeCatalog3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm • #  

John,

Thanks for the links - very informative.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm • #  

Hi John,

Excellent information, thank you for your research and sharing the information. :sCh_fisherman:

Kind Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply