Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 pm • #  

Attachment:
Garcia ABU Hi-Fi assorted sizes.jpg

Mates,

Above are assorted sizes (⅛ to ¾ oz) and color combinations of my Hi-Fi Spinners made by ABU exclusively for Garcia (USA). The Hi-Fi was a combination of the Roulette lure’s body and the Sonette’s spinner blade.

This is a lure that would have been cast by Mitchell spin fishers in the US, as well as ABU bait casters (with reels sold by Garcia) – as in the Johnny Dieckman Demonstrates Bait Casting film available at MRM.

Garcia cataloged the Hi-Fi as follows:
1959: ¼ oz
1960-61: ⅛, ¼, ½, ¾ oz
1962-66: ⅛, ¼, ½ oz

Below are a couple of my examples of how Garcia packaged the Hi-Fi.

John
Attachment:
Garcia dealer_easel_card ABU Hi-Fi 0.75 oz.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia peg_card ABU Hi-Fi 0.25 oz.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 pm • #  

In 1959, Garcia first cataloged the Hi-Fi in both the Trade Catalog and the Annual. Only the ¼ oz size was available then.
Attachment:
5900 Garcia Trade 023 Hi-Fi.jpg

Attachment:
5900 Garcia Trade 023 excerpt Hi-Fi.jpg

Attachment:
5900 Garcia Annual 046 Hi-Fi.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 pm • #  

In 1960, Garcia expanded the line to include ⅛, ¼, ½, & ¾ oz sizes.
Attachment:
6000 Garcia Trade 022 Hi-Fi.jpg

Attachment:
6000 Garcia Trade 022 excerpt Hi-Fi.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 pm • #  

In 1962, Garcia discontinued the ¾ oz size.
Attachment:
6200 Garcia Annual 115 Hi-Fi.jpg

Attachment:
6200 Garcia Annual 115 excerpt Hi-Fi.jpg

In 1965, the Hi-Fi was included in the cover art for the Garcia Annual.
Attachment:
6500 Garcia Annual 000 Hi-Fi.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:07 am • #  

1966 was the last year for the Hi-Fi.
Attachment:
6600 Garcia Annual 165 Hi-Fi.jpg

The Hi-Fi had some component changes over time. Please refer to the image below:
Attachment:
Garcia ABU Hi-Fi changes.jpg

The first version had a red-plastic bead on either side of the clevise (clasp for the spinner blade). This version must have been for a short time only (1 year or less?) – although it was pictured in catalogs for longer ; only 1 of my ~4 dozen Hi-Fi (counting my dealer card of 12 as a single example) have this configuration.

The earliest Hi-Fi had paint (white or yellow) on their Vibra-ducts (scoops/louvers on the spinner blade). Only 2 of my ~4 dozen have this feature. This feature probably only lasted the first year and was likely limited to ¼ oz models, although, again, it was pictured in catalogs for longer.

The later, most prevalent versions of Hi-Fi had a plastic (red or earlier brass-colored) “lure body head” (conical bead) after the clevise (before the body).

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 pm • #  

Hi John,

Much appreciated.

By far the best and most in-depth information I have witnessed about the Hi-Fi. Thanks for sharing your wast knowledge.

I have been looking for information to date this item.

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:56 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

If you look above in this thread, you can see catalog # 7161 (with a little bit of red hackle on it) in the 1960 Trade Catalog image.

YBBC corresponds to a yellow-black body with a chrome blade. Given 7161 is a ¾ oz lure and ¾ oz lures were only sold 1960/61, I would venture that is the date.

Looks like you bagged (acquired) another nice dealer box. Good on you mate!

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 pm • #  

Hi John,

Thanks - the contents fits your description.

I was looking at the "light green card" - original Hi-Fi package Garcia peg_card ABU Hi-Fi 0.25 oz.

Very nice item indeed.

(By the way, not sure if "light green" would be a precise description of the colour)

By reading your valuable contribution to the discussion for the Garcia ABU Reflex, it is noticed that also "yellow cards" was distributed by Garcia, however, I do not have any information about which card was introduced first.

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:11 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

Have you seen a Hi-Fi in a yellow peg card? I haven’t, but carded Hi-Fi don’t come up for sale that often (while loose Hi-Fi, especially poor condition ones, are not especially rare). I have 4 carded Hi-Fi, all on light green cards. By the way, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kit of 5 with cardboard sleeve up for sale. Yes, I have several yellow peg cards with Reflex Spinners in them.

First, let me try to narrow when Hi-Fi were available on peg cards. This question actually may help me answer a broader question I’ve had (but never devoted any time to), “When did Garcia start using peg cards?” (which also implies discontinuation of the tripod dealer display card with 12 lures). “Peg” because a hole enabled the card to be placed a peg (rod) of a pegboard display. This is also called a bubble or, unfortunately most commonly, blister card (I’m not too keen on “blister” because of the unpleasant image it evokes).

Garcia sold Hi-Fi on peg cards from 1963 to 1966 (’66 being the last year for the Hi-Fi). The peg card was first pictured in 1963, please see cropped page scan from 1963 Annual below. That year, the 5-lure kit is also shown in a peg cardboard sleeve – prior the kit sleeve had been shown with a foldout image to display with the box laying flat. Unfortunately, all the catalog images of the peg card are in B&W.

I did realize though, looking very closely at the catalog images, there were 3 different print versions of the card:

1) 1963: “With sound producing ‘Vibra-Ducts’” and 5 bullet points below
2) 1964-66: “Makes a sound that attracts fish” with 5 bullet points below
3) ?: “Makes a sound that attracts fish” with 4 bullet points below

My 4 cards are the 3rd version (and light green).

I tried to narrow the yellow card date range with Reflex Spinners that had limited sales dates. The brown/yellow Fishscale ABU Reflex Spinner was sold 1964/66 and has a yellow card (I had posted at the MRM Forum in the Reflex thread). That did not help me clarify the Hi-Fi card colors –at least for now.

So, I am not able to make a conclusion about colors, but I can say (as I wrote above) cards were 1963-66.

BTW I noticed something interesting on the back of the Hi-Fi card I had not seen on other Garcia cards, printed quite small: “ESSELTE PAC” (see enlarged image below). As you may know, Esselte printed boxes for ABU in the 1950’s. For me, this raises a question of whether the cards were printed/assembled in Sweden.

John
Attachment:
6300 Garcia Annual 107 Hi-Fi.jpg

Attachment:
Esselte Garcia Hi-Fi Card.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11 pm • #  

Hi John,

I do not have the Hi-Fi one a peg card. Thank you very much for sharing.

For Garcia on peg cards, I have Reflex on the yellow cards and the Svängsta Spinner on a light green card.

Did check. None of the cards has the “ESSELTE PAC” seems to be very special :-)

I have a small Garcia catalogue that needs dating, will post pictures:-)

Cheers,
Jens

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply