Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:52 am • #  

In my opinion the half-bail reel in a brown box is one of the most desirable and scarce Mitchell combinations, and members might like to see an example. This was found in France.

The brown box has a textured paper surface similar to the more familiar blue "hide" box and both boxes were made around the time the Mitchell reel transitioned from rotary check lever to boomerang.

The brown box shown here contained a late 2nd. version reel with green owner's leaflet. I have seen the third version reel in a blue textured box, but it is also quite possible that one could turn up in a brown box.

There are differences between these textured lid boxes and regular ones which suggest a different manufacturer. The differences are:

The card used for the lid is a distinct colour.

The brown lid I have is constructed in a similar way to the regular boxes, but the blue textured lid is more robust with the top glued down and into the sides.

The pillow rest for the rotor is of compressed paper in textured boxes. In both earlier and later regular boxes it is of wood.

The small indent in the spool cut-out is set higher in textured boxes. This gives the appearance that it is intended for containers with a screw-on lid, but I doubt this is the case because later boxes reverted to the lower indent.

The neck cut-out in textured boxes is about 5mm narrower than on regular boxes.

"Mitchell" on the tray is a little finer and lighter on textured boxes.

I attach photos of the box, different spool cut-outs and a paper pillow.

Kind regards and stay safe everyone,

Rolands.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:54 am • #  

Spool cut-outs and paper pillow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply