Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:00 pm • #  

Hello,
Just for information, attached is a scanned photo from a French fishery review from June 1949.
This is the first photo that I find other than an advertising photo.
Photo probably taken by the fisherman who caught this pike.
This photo is from the same month and year as the oldest Mitchell ad that I found, so the mitchell was sold before the ads.
The quality of the paper was not good after WW2, the reel is difficult to see
CL

Attachment:
Mitchell Brochet juin 1949.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:01 pm • #  

Hi Christian, interesting early photo and historical reference to Mitchell. I also like seeing the old motorcycle. As always, thank your for sharing with us. Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:14 am • #  

Thanks for posting. How did you come to find this article? I also like the net in the picture but wonder if it was actually used to land the Pike since the fish is big??
Kim :tup :sHa_okay: :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:16 pm • #  

Hello Christian , As you said the paper is not of the best quality but when I strain my old eyes I can definitely make out a Mitchell reel in the photo. I hope all is well with all our Mitchell Mates all over the world, and that next year will be better. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all , or whatever you celebrate. Regards to all, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

A great photo; it precedes the earliest advertising I've found by three years! Thank you for sharing.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:48 am • #  

Hello,

In France with the confinement due to the Covid and the authorization to go outside one hour a day, we have to kill time at home.
So I went through the monthly fishery reviews that I have from the first one from 1906 until 1960 so far.
I have scanned and recorded more than 4,400 advertisements on French fishing equipment. I also looked at the photos taken by the fishermen and the associated comment and therefore found in 1949 this photo.
The advertisements of the years 1949/1952 for Mitchell are not numerous.
Best regards
CL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:28 pm • #  

Bonsoir Christian,

I see the English word “trimmer” in the text, could you explain it’s context. I speak passable French, which I learned when I was in the Canadian military, I am curious to this 70 year old usage of this word.

Merci

Glen en Nouvelle Ecosse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 am • #  

Hello Glen,
The text with the word "trimmer" is an article about pike fishing and has no relation to the photo.
The trimmer is fishing equipment that was used in private ponds to fish for pike without supervision and without being connected to a rod or other, so free to move on the water.
Usually the trimmer was white on one side and red on the other.
It was put in the water with a live bait (small roach or carp)
The wire was stuck in a notch on the top of the spindle: when the pike attacked the quick and swallowed it, the disc turned and therefore changed color (from white to red or red to white) and the fishing line unwound. The fisherman on his return saw that the trimmer had changed color and was going to retrieve it in a boat.
Another device also in the photo is the fork which was suspended from a flexible tree branch: the pike would snake itself and the branch acted as a shock absorber.
I have attached two catalog scans (1925 and 1955) of equipment manufacturers showing these two fishing objects.
I hope on this helps
CL
Attachment:
trimmer et four.jpg

Attachment:
trimmer PE.jpg

Attachment:
trimmer fourchette LP.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:01 pm • #  

Thank you Christian for the explanation. It is an interesting technique.

When I lived in Germany, at Lahr, there was a pond at the fishing club that was stocked with rainbow trout. There was also a huge pike in the pond that probably ate more trout than the members caught. The club had a 100 mark reward to anyone who caught it. It broke a few lines, but I am not sure that anyone ever got this fish. We should have tried a trimmer.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:56 pm • #  

Christian,

Is the use of a trimmer controversial, or illegal in France? Is it meant to reduce pike populations in private ponds in order to promote other fish species? Are trimmers still in use, or is it an item from the era of the 1940s 1950,s?

Thank you for your previous response.

Nous vous remercier pour votre connaisance des choses
Mitchell

Glen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:32 am • #  

Christian,

An absolutely marvelous find. Thank you for sharing!

For mates who aren’t aware (or may have forgotten), the first published advertisement in the US was in February, 1949 in the Field & Stream magazine. See this MRM post:

Mitchell Reel: pre1952 ad's/press US

What this says about when Charles Garcia received Mitchells for sale is uncertain. I remember reading once that even magazines in the 1960’s needed their material put together 2-3 months in advance of printing. On the other hand, Garcia may have been working with only a photo received in advance of the reel.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply