Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:16 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
I recently added this correspondence and advertising to my collection and I thought you may find it interesting. The letter is to a Mr. Walton of Wilmington, Delaware who had inquired about purchasing the new Plucky Lure from Mr. T. Lenk, Manager of Charles Garcia & Co . The letterhead is embossed in a raised, glossy green print and dated May 1950. To items of note are that according to Mr. Lenk, Garcia at the time couldn't afford to advertise in color and Mr. T. Lenk would eventually rise to the President of the Garcia Corporation in the mid 1950's; a position he held until the late 1970's.
Attachment:
Plucky Correspondence.jpg

Apparently Mr. Walton ordered a couple of the Plucky's as evidenced by this purchase order on the same type letterhead from Garcia.
Attachment:
Plucky Order.jpg

The Plucky Lure came in a clear plastic cylinder with an insert as seen below.
Attachment:
Plucky Insert.jpg

I have never seen this type of letterhead from the Charles Garcia & Co and its the earliest correspondence in my collection. But there's more!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:26 pm • #  

Hi again Mates,
Apparently Mr. Lenk took the opportunity to include to Mr. Walton a couple of flyers/advertisements as seen below.
Attachment:
Lure Flyer.jpg

And I believe this to be one of the earliest color advertisements from Garcia.
Attachment:
Plucky Ad.jpg

The Plucky lures on the side are from my collection and are of the same time period. The rubber has since collapsed and become hard - I don't think I'd use them today :sHa_biggrin: . As always Mates, comments and questions are always welcome. I think these are pretty cool pieces of Garcia history and am pleased to have them as part of my collection.

Kind Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:41 pm • #  

It is an interesting looking lure. Being made of rubber, I wonder if the double hook could have been turned up, along side the lure body. This would make it less likely to snag, but still be able to hook the fish.

On another note, the old Royal Canadian Navy Survival Fishing Kit used to have a Voblex spinner included. I had one from this source, don’t know if it is around the house here or not. The kit had an assortment of small tackle items in a rectangular tin box.

I believe it was in the aircrew individual raft checklist from the 50’s and 60’s.

I haven’t seen mine in ages.

They, Garcia that is, went to quite an effort for such a small sale amount.

Best wishes.

Glen in Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 am • #  

Hello Chris,

Very beautiful documents.
Concerning the cylindrical container, I have a more recent model (six sizes of Plucky and not three, no dorsal fin) with its instructions.
The plastic is smoky yellow, in my opinion to protect the rubber from light and prevent it from hardening.
Also attach for information the photos of a CAP RUBLEX display in which I put different Rublex lures (hardbaits, spoons of different names).
Best regards,
CL
Attachment:
plucky.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 1.JPG

Attachment:
vitrine 2.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 pm • #  

Hello Laroupane, Very nice display of lures in the Cap Rublex box , you should be very proud of it. Regards,John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:55 pm • #  

Hello mates, great information and pics regarding Plucky Lures. I don't have any myself but have always liked the look of them. Christian, I especially enjoy seeing the CAP Rublex Display Box. Thanks all for sharing, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:24 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Glen, The hooks on the Plucky are stationary and unfortunately not able to be positioned. I agree with you though, that would be a great idea.

Christian, Thank you for the additional information and great photos. Your Plucky lure looks like new - very nice :tup . The Rublex display is beautiful and a great display for your lures.

Thanks Dennis, this is the oldest correspondence I have in my collection and I had never seen this Garcia letterhead before.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:12 am • #  

Hi Chris,

After a bit of thought, perhaps if it were possible, turning up the hooks would interfere with the movement of the lure’s tail.

I also wonder if these lures caught fish.

Also love the display of lures.

Glen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:45 am • #  

That is a wonderful document Chris, from the very early period of Garcia's involvement in the fishing industry. The comments from Tom Lenk about the lack of profits at that time, sits well with Dick Wolff's preface in his 1987 book, Parting Shots. I believe that Dick joined the company by invitation from Tom Lenk in 1951, and he wrote:

“When I joined Garcia, there were but four people employed, and I was given the prestigious title of Director of Public Relations. In such a small company, the Director worked in the shipping room, side by side with the President. We took turns sweeping the floor. He did pull rank on me when it came time to take the few packages to the post office.”

The business would grow rapidly, as we know, but there were not many reels made at the time that your letter was written, with just 22,075 in 1949, according to the data in Bernard Caminade's books. This certainly would not have yielded much profit for Garcia, even if they had sold them all in the US, which clearly was not the case, as the reels were also being sold in France and the UK in those days.

Charles Garcia & Co started trading in 1919, and I have recently found a letter from them, that was written a couple of years after that date, which has the same CG&Co logo that appears on your 1950 letter. The letter head has an earlier typeface than yours, and also lists Carlos Garcia and OS Gumprich in the top left hand corner. Their address is listed as 132 Nassau St, NY.

Attachment:
Charles Garcia letter 1922 .25.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 pm • #  

Hi Glen,
It didn't occur to me at the time, but your absolutely correct that the hooks facing upright would definitely eliminate the swimming motion of the tail movement. I believe that it was a very popular lure but not sure if it was because they caught fish - or fisherman had to replace a lot of them because of submerged obstacles and breaking them off! :sFun_rofl:

Hi George,
Thank you for sharing an extraordinary piece of Garcia history. I had no idea that the Charles Garcia & Co went back that far - a wonderful find in such a rare document. Your research also provides fantastic insight into the early years of Garcia. I appreciate you sharing such great information. I owe you a response to our discussion on the 300C my friend :tup

Thank you both for the responses.

Kind regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply