Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Yes its the pain again!!! part #81035 is a shim that goes under the drive gear on a 300.
I have not had one in any Reels I have taken apart and I know several have not been taken apart.
Can any one explain why.
when is this shim used.
Looked at several schematics and discovered it only appears on the butterfly drag schematics.
Am I missing something?

piscesman

Re: 81035

Post by piscesman »

More than likely if it appears for butterfly version it was to take up slack if needed to stop grinding or noise.
Kim :?:

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Schrack,
You may have noticed a sort of brass colored insert where the drive gear axle goes into the cover plate. That is an oilite bushing or bearing. Sometimes the oilite bearing would stick up a little above the inner surface of the cover plate. Generally speaking, in this case, no shim was needed. Other times the bearing's end was below the surface of the cover plate. Some drive gears would, in that case, rub on the inner surface of the cover plate. The shim was added to slightly lift the drive gear up so it would not rub on the cover plates inner surface.
If you are fishing a reel where there is a circle worn into the cover plate, under the drive gear, then add a shim. How many you would add depends on the thickness of each shim (some come in different thicknesses) and you will have to experiment to get it perfect. If you are not fishing a reel there is no need to add a shim.

The 1969 Garcia Mitchell Part List suggested adding: 81035 (54) "Shims to adjust drive gear (optional)....(set of 2)".
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Thank You Greatlaker< that makes perfect sense, I obtained a whole bage of these in a parts purchase a while back , but could not find any reels that had them.
I have in the past seen wear marks under the drive gear.
So when I open them up look for rub marks on case if it appears add a shim, which would clear gear from plate.
Will be on the look out from now on.
Thanks again.