Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:43 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am • #  

Hi Mates,

I recently added this mini Garcia Balanced Fishing Tackle Catalog to my collection. It measures 2 3/4" by 2 1/4" and has 32 pages of reels, rod guides, lures and line.
Attachment:
Mini Tackle Catalog.jpg

Based on the New York address on the front cover, the 1958/1959 Garcia Tackle Catalog depicted on the back cover and the Mitchell Salt Water reel with the Garcia sticker, I think this dates to late 1950s to very early 1960s. Is it possible that this may have come in a Garcia K Kit or maybe a Garcia RK Kit?
Attachment:
Mini Tackle Catalog 1.jpg

Attachment:
Mini Tackle Catalog 2.jpg

It seems the more I find, the more questions I have - but it's still a pretty neat addition and part of what keeps this hobby fascinating for me. Would appreciate any information / thoughts or opinions.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:54 pm • #  

I see 2 possible answers. Probably wrong.
1)- Counter "flyer" in tackle shops or other stores. Smaller than most brochures and can fit into shirt pocket.
2)- Packed with the kits you have mentioned. Anyone out there that has these kits can you verify??

It doesn't have a punched hole in top corner like the Conolon rods have to attach to poles with string. I doubt it came with the reel but with Mitchell nothing is absolute. I have cats like that but hidden somewhere. Very nice. Good Score........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

Also could this be the FREE catalog they would send you for writing as it reads on the back of yours since it has 32 pages???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:13 pm • #  

I found this catalog in my 300K kit which I believe is quite complete. I think your catalog is an older version of this one. It has the pictures of the 300 and the 302 (and others) with the sticker same as yours. It is 32 pages and shows the order form on the back. I'm sure you have this one but I can confirm it was in the 300K Kit. The $29.75 and $32.50 prices correspond to the prices on the blue boxes for early and later reels used from 1955 to 1958.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:42 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Kim and Randy, thank you both for your thoughts, opinions and information. I think we're all on the right track here but believe we're missing the exact kit and time frame. Or the potential that this was in fact a tackle shop hand-out or mail in freebie.
Upon further review, I had a very similar mini catalog on a Red Box 300 K Kit (With the original 8101 / 300K sticker on the side) from 1956 that is to the best of my knowledge completely original.
Attachment:
2 Mini Tackle Catalogs.jpg
Attachment:
2 Mini Tackle Catalogs Back.jpg

But, the Red Box mini catalog has a hole and string that was around the reel handle of the Mithcel 300 reel. Randy, you and I both have the same tackle catalog that came in the Black Box K Kits, titled the same as my other two, and one of the mini's is a known K Kit item - which I believe is an even stronger argument that this mini one was a K or RK addition. Both the mini catalogs contents are almost identical except the one with the hole and string is 28 pages and I believe older as it refers to the Hammered finish tackle box K Kit and the one without the hole refers to the plastic box K Kit. The mini catalog with the hole also says "Printed in France on it". Hopefully other Mates can provide additional insight and refinement to this quandry.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:42 pm • #  

Hi All,

That's a nice little booklet on the right - I've got one. From the 1957 and 1958 Garcia trade catalogs, I see that it is part of kit contents (reel & rod/reel). It is not present in images of 1956 and 1959 kits, therefore timeframe is 1957-58.

You can spot the little booklet in the scans attached below.

John

Attachment:
Garcia 57 trade catalog p031 kit.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia 57 trade catalog p032 kit.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 pm • #  

That said, I suppose one has to keep in mind the timing of the Garcia company name change. And, that catalogs are not 100% historically accurate.

Here is how I think name/address went:

1953 & earlier: Charles Garcia, 53 Park Place, New York, New York

1954: 268 Fourth Avenue, New York, New York

1956-December: first ad I have for the Garcia Corporation, still at 268 Fourth Avenue

1963: 329 Alfred Avenue, Teaneck, New Jersey

So, I suppose it is possible the booklet on the left (by the Garcia Corp.) could have been placed in 1958 kits, while an existing, old picture was used for the catalog. It wouldn't be the first time for a company to do that - afterall how important would it have been to fishermen at the time?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:15 pm • #  
Administrator

Good Job John! :sSig_youtheman:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply