Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:18 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:11 am • #  

This reel is hardly as worthy of a collector's interest as a Mitchell or the older Ambassadeurs, but it seems to be every bit as hard to find! My 2007 Abu Garcia Cardinal 801 was stolen, and I have been trying to replace it for two years. (This is the original Abu Garcia Cardinal line, not the Walmart blister pack things currently available.) I wrote to him out of the blue, and Mr Fred Ribb was kind enough to suggest that the experts on this board might be able and willing to steer me in the right direction. I've done the obvious (Ebay, etc.) already and still have an empty creel. Can any of you assist?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:35 am • #  

Hello!

Probably a short run reel...the only Ebay traffic recently was a spool located in Lithuania.

Seems to have been mentioned in misc forums around 2007/2008 and not much thereafter.

If you want something equivalent in price and a much better reel, look at either a Daiwa Tournament SS 700 or SS 1300...proven for decades and bullet proof. These also show up on Ebay all the time and if you don't require a box nice ones can be acquired for $65-80. Really not much difference between ones made in Japan versus Thailand, except for snob appeal or collector value of early models.

It has an external bail trip, but most people hand close bails anyway. An unexpected feature is a drag stack...even in the small SS 700.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:50 pm • #  

smead - I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I'm not sure about the length of the run. The 800 series was produced for at least two years, with most sales apparently in the larger versions, 806 and 807. At the same time, Abu Garcia offered the 601 series at a reduced cost, with 6 bearings instead of the 9 in the 800 series. I have reels which are more favorably reviewed and cost much more, by many makers, but my 801 was the best spinning reel I have ever fished. It was impervious to abuse, even surviving being stepped on by a 100-pound child's boot. It had a very quiet bail click, and was very quiet and smooth. Like many pursuers of fish, I have an attachment to certain pieces of kit which is as emotional as it is rational. I know for a fact that Daiwa make superb spinning reels, but I just won't feel "right" until I have my Abu 801 back.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply