Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:55 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 pm • #  

I was wondering if anyone can tell me when it started and for how long the spool capacity symbols were used on the drag adjustment knobs? Stay cool in this heat & tite lines to everyone Oscillator1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:41 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Oscillator1,
Welcome to The Mitchell Reel Museum. :sSig_welcome4:

I have , personally, only seen them on the third version reels. To me, that would date them from around 46 thru 52.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:08 pm • #  

Hi Oscillator 1,

I agree with Ted. I've only seen them on 3rd Version Mitchells as well.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am • #  

A big thanks for the quick response to my inquiry about drag symbol.After almost 60 years of fishing with Mitchell spinning reels and Abu winches I do have a small collection of both and a few Conolon rods.Being 72 and retired l spend quite a bit of time ( to much according to my wife ) on the site,also on eBay where I did pick up 3 rd version in descent shape. I have a feeling that it has an incorrect spool on it.Its all metal except for the drag adjuster and the arbor has 2 slots in that you can see thru. I've never seen a spool like that.The reel I picked up has serial no. C20257 on it,which I think makes it an early 3 rd version from what I can gather from Paul Hydes book.Maybe Wallace's book has more info in it ,I'll have to order a copy of it.Thanks again to both of you for reply,good fishing . John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:44 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Oscillator1,
I have a late 4th version European model that came with a hi-cap spool that has two slots in the arbor. It isn't an all metal spool due to the plastic spindle back. Someone may have done some changing around.
I have versions of the 300 from the 2nd to the 9th and I haven't seen another.
Maybe, these spools show up more often on the European models.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:23 pm • #  

Hi mates Ted or Chris,Still trying to come up with an app. year for this ( what I'm fairly sure is a 3 rd version)reel I picked up. I guess in my last post I didn't give too much info on it. Well it is a half bail,correct handle,version 3 production run baffle plate,it also has level wind gears,and the counterweight welds are not finished smooth.I also am curious to know if theABC prefixes all shared one sequence of numbers,or did they all have their own.Seems to me you have to be a Sherlock Holmes or Columbo to pin some these production dates down.Well enough for now ,have some honey do's to take care of,keep that drag adjusted right. John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:48 pm • #  

Hi John,

Based on your description and the serial number on your reel, I would estimate that it is a late 3rd version Mitchell from 1951/52. I'm not sure of how the sequence of the A,B,C serial numbers worked but another of the Mates probably does. :tup

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply