Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm • #  

Attachment:
IMGP2856 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Attachment:
IMGP2853 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Attachment:
IMGP2862 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Hello!
I have some questions about this ”tournament” reel that I have. I know that it belong to Finnish casting person Reino Ihatsu who won world championship on 1970 but history of the reel is not clear for me. I checked your wonderful Website and find some info about these tournament reels, I’m just wondering can this be factory made reel or not. It does not have serial number and “Made in France” is located at the back of the reel so defenetly done after 1959 and it has this Baffle Plate version 7(?) so could it be then done between 1559 -1962?
Looks similar than that Mitchell 1st torunament reel – except the spool. Can you give more information about these tornament reels? I guess there are not too many of these manaufactured during the years.

Best regards
Tapio

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:50 pm • #  

Hello Tapio,

Welcome to the group and glad to hear that you enjoyed the information in the Museum site - a lot of work by many members is incorporated here.

I am not an expert on the Mitchell Tournament Reels but I do have an original Mitchell Wedding Cake Tournament reel so I have an idea of what to look for. On the surface, it appears to me that you do have an original Mitchell Tournament reel but I would need a few more photos to make a more positive determination. None of the original Tournament reels had serial numbers as they were hand made for specific competitive casters that Mitchell identified to use their reels. The spool is not familiar to me, however that could have been a modification by Mr. Ihatsu to fit his preference for a specific competition. Mitchell made very few of these reels so they are quite rare and not well known to many collectors - there may be a few Mates who will also provide some insight into your reel. If you are comfortable with private messaging a few photos: One of the opposite side of the rotor cup, one of the full face plate and one each of the internal gears of the body and of the faceplate (no need to disassemble the gears, just carefully remove the faceplate if you are comfortable with doing that). My reasoning for a Private Message is to minimize exposure and prevent counterfeiting of these very special reels. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 am • #  

Thanks for the info Chris :tup .
I'll send You link to additional pictures & some notes that I discovered from the reel.

Best regards
Tapio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:53 pm • #  

Hello Tapio,

Great photos :sHa_okay: . I've looked them over carefully and I have no concerns - I'm reasonably certain that your reel is in fact a factory Mitchell Tournament reel. As I stated earlier, I have never seen that type of spool which leads me to believe that it was modified By Mr. Ihatsu for his personal preference. You mentioned the silver ring around the base of the spool. That is from casting and is the result of the line running across it. During competition the caster would use his/her index finger to "feather" the line coming off the spool for greater accuracy. Note that the body of your reel is a 300 but the rotor is a 301 and the specific gearing of your reel allows the rotor to rotate clockwise like a 301 vice counterclockwise like a 300, yet allows you to reel in line like a 300 :sFun_shocked: A great reel in very nice condition.

It would be interesting if Mr. Ihatsu still had the original spool or would be willing to write a memo regarding the history of and his experience with that reel......That would make your reel really special!

Hope this helped answer some of your questions.

Kind regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:18 pm • #  

Thanks for comment’s again Chris. Nice to hear that You rate the reel as factory made Tournament reel. :sSig_thankyou:
I also found Your wedding cake reel pictures from the Forum topics:) Very nice reel indeed :tup .
Still wondering the age of my reel, the handle and it's locking system looks same as in this 1st version torunament reel but same system is also in that Mitchell Skish Tournament 2 reel so that does not proof anything.

I need to start digging more information from that reel, I send already mail to “Wanhat Wehkeet and Wieheet” Association that connect researchers and collectors Finnish sports history of fishing and its related instruments (in case sombody is interested in old Finnish lures: http://www.vanhaonki.com/ and check page Huutokaupat and brown box on the right, there you can find pictures of old lures they have been selling in auctions).
So let’s see if they can help me on research. I found out that most probably the reel has been sold on their auction 2009, at least Mr Ihatsu casting equipments were sold on that auction.

Best regards
Tapio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am • #  

GREAT looking reel. According to D Roberts guide, Mitchell made those reels from approx 1962 - 1978. They experimented with several designs both reels and spools to see what worked and what didn't. Your reel has the extra gearing which was referred as the ninth gearing. Skish didn't become real popular until the early 70's. If you take the side plate off you find the extra gearing in there. ALL of these reels have MITCHELL ONLY stamped on side plate. No other vendors names be it Garcia, Arca, Albatross, Balzer and Milbro. Approximately 100 of these tournament reels were made by Mitchell over the years. There are around 15 different styles of aftermarket spools not made by Mitchell. All original Mitchells are worth more than the ones with the aftermarket spools. Hope you get the documentation you are looking for................
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_clap2: :sHa_clap2:

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply