Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Date & Version?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm • #  

Just acquired a 308 & a 304 for my lighter fishing needs. As with all my Mitchell reels, the 1st thing I try to do is date it & download a parts schematic prior to disassembly and fresh lube.
The 308 is s/n 090407 and the 304 is s/n 1917285.
From the Photo Gallery, the 308 looks like a 2nd version '62-'67, and the 304 looks like a 5th version '59-67. Any way to narrow the build year on these reels from the s/n's?

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever”
John Keats

Post subject: Re: Date & Version?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm • #  

Maybe a few pics will help?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 am • #  

Prybar, I can answer your 308 question. Your reel is an early second version. It was produced in 1961 and distributed by Garcia, intended for sale in North America. It has all period correct parts from what can be seen on the exterior. It shows some wear, but looks like it could clean up quite well. Nice find.

I’ll let other mates speak to the 304.

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:50 pm • #  

Thank you Sandman. I now know which schematic to download.
It is indeed quite dirty but still smooth & quiet. Easy enough to peel away the dirt and put a coat of glaze on it.
Some of my "best finds" are really filthy old reels that have been sitting in a garage or basement corner covered with the oil that seeps out after the grease has broken down. The oil actually protects the paint but they become dust/dirt magnets and are thought of as "not worth much". Those can be treasures!

Now, to get some clarity on that 304.

John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm • #  

Prybar, what kind of glaze do you apply? I would avoid any kind of lacquer or varnish type finishes. I use light rubbing with a polishing compound to reels that have ground in dirt. This really just takes the dirt off and maybe a microscopic layer of paint. Then I treat with a silicone product that really just gives it a shine, though can protect against corrosion too...Boeshield T9 is the best, but 303 Protectant works well too...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm • #  

Hey Sandman. I use Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze. It's a gentle cleansing polish with genuine carnauba in one. It's made to be used with a DA polisher but works well when applied manually for small areas. I use it as the final step when I detail my cars...which is why I bought it. I use the 303 fabric guard on my boat cover & that works pretty good....just wish it lasted longer. Their paint protectant may be a better product. Not familar with the T9. Does it leave a residue like WD40?

Prybar

John Keats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 pm • #  

Hey prybar, sounds like you use some good products. After I use WD40 to get the hard grease and dirt off, I use a polish like yours to clean up the paint, then spray everything exterior with Boeshield and wipe off the excess.

Boeshield T9 is the preference of vintage fly reels guys (aluminum reels with leaded finish). I pasted the manufacturer description below. It does not leave a residue of oil emitted from a solvent (like WD40), but rather a wax coating as a protectant. Its considered a lubricant and protectant. I own no stock in the company.

"True aerospace technology. Boeshield T-9 was developed and licensed by global aerospace leader, The Boeing Company, to fill a need for high-performance, long-term metal protection and lubrication. T-9’s unique formulation of solvent carrier and paraffin wax coating was engineered to penetrate crevices deeply, displace moisture, dissolve minor corrosion, and leave a clean, waxy coating with lasting durability—without using Teflon, silicone, fluorocarbons, MEK, or acetone."

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 pm • #  

Thanks for the tip, Sandman. I put it on my "get some" sheet and will give it a try! I've got a couple of "misery whips" that constantly rust up.(bare metal) Maybe the answer.

Sure hope someone can help me date that 304.

Prybar

John Keats

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 pm • #  

Hello Prybar,

"Sure hope someone can help me date that 304."

Sorry for my late arrival to the party - been on work travel and then vacation. :sCh_taz: Back to normal now!

Your Garcia Mitchell 304 is an early 1960s based on the flat faceplate screws, the engraved 3-0-4 and my best guess is 1963/1964 based on the serial number. It should have a coned line guide screw in the bail vice a flat topped line guide screw - those changed around 1960.

The dating on the "Round Body" Mitchells has not been well studied (But I'm working on it :sHa_biggrin: ) so there is very little information on them available. They are my favorite Mitchells and I have about 100 in my collection. I've also fished with the same Garcia Mitchell 304 for the last 45 years so I have a little experience with these little beauties. If you need any assistance with your 304, please let me know.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 pm • #  

Hey there Chris,

Thanks so much for you help on getting this dated. I would say that if you have about a hundred of them, you know what you're talking about! This is my 1st and I'm amazed at just how simple they are. I took it apart yesterday, cleaned and lubed it. It had a considerable amount of head play but I was able to shim the head with an additional .008 baffle plate shim for a Mitchell 300. It fit right in the head recess like it was made for it. The ID was a tad big but I put the .007 shim it had in it on top with the washer. Snug but not tight.
Might be a little off topic, but how much clearance should I have between the bail wire and the spool? When I open the bail on a 300, the wire edge is almost level with the head. Not so with this 304. Maybe it's been stepped on or maybe this is normal. I will attach a picture.

I appreciate your help,
Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Keats

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 am • #  

Hi Paul,

That is the normal position for the open/locked bail on a 304. Your bail may be slightly out of arch - it should form a smooth continuous arch from side to side. This is easily corrected by using your fingers to re-shape the bail wire. The 304 has a distinct, loud snap when the bail shuts (more so than a 300) when the bail is tuned properly. The end play between the rotor cup and the body should be about .003" when properly shimmed - as you said, snug but not tight. I love these reels. While quite simple, they are a work horse! With very little maintenance, they will provide a lifetime of fishing enjoyment. I recommend stringing it with 4# or 6# quality monofilament line such as Stren or another good quality mono for best cast ability. Happy fishing with your 304 and tight lines.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:57 pm • #  

Hey Chris,

Thanks again for your help and advise.
The arch on the bail is pretty good & the hinge points fell right into place. I don't want to "fix it 'till it's broke", so I think I'll leave it as it is. After I spool it up I'll adjust the wire if necessary. My hearing isn't the best, but the bail does have a crisp snap.
You know Chris, before I tore this down for cleaning & servicing, I looked all over the internet but couldn't find a procedure video on the 304. I thought that to be rather odd with this possibly being Mitchell's #2 best selling older model reel. I bet with your extensive knowledge of this model, you would do a bang up job and could impart some of that wisdom to a bunch of 304 owners......especially us new ones. I took several pics when I tore mine down, but it's really nice to actually watch someone who knows what they are doing, do it the correct way!
I'm going to take your advise on the 6# mono. Crappie & bluegill are what I want to use this for & pass it on to one of the great- grandkids.

Best to you,
Paul

John Keats

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply