Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1950s Mitchell Paper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I just received this Mitchell paper that I have never seen before. Clearly 1950s as indicated by the 3rd Version Mitchell half bail depicted and I believe it is of European origin/distribution just based on the writing style.

Attachment:
1950s Mitchell Paper.jpg

Attachment:
1950s Mitchell Paper 1.jpg

Attachment:
1950s Mitchell Paper 2.jpg

I have several NIB/MIB 3rd Version Mitchells with the original paperwork from both here in the U.S. and Europe but none of them have this insert - if it is in fact an inert (speculation on my part). I love the old Mitchell paperwork and have a number of examples but this one is a mystery to me. Has anyone seen this before? I would appreciate any information other Mates may have.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1950s Mitchell Paper
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 pm • #  

Chris, I too have several 3rd Versions but have never seen this before. Randy

:help:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm • #  

Hey Chris,

Checkout what Wallace has posted on what looks the same as yours:
Quote:
Here's a sample of "even more" from our Mitchell Mate, James Entwistle.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=166

I have 2 questions and some speculation.

1) What is the page size (of a folded page, not the overall paper size)? Would this fit in a reel box or is it bigger, possibly more like a promotional piece?

2) What does it say middle bottom of back (too small to make out)? It's looking like an indication of printed in France - no surprise here. However, the specifics may be useful for a linkage.

Located in "picturesque Savoy" seems beyond anything an American consumer at the time would have been aware of and therefore unlikely anything used by Garcia (USA). Did Garcia (USA) ever go beyond the mention of France to mentioning Savoy? Our British and European Mates are needed on this, as it looks like something for the UK.

John

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 pm • #  

Hi Randy and John,

John,
Great information :sSig_youtheman:

Thank you for your research. To answer your questions:

1. The folded page size is 3" X 4.5" - so it would easily fit inside a reel box.
Attachment:
1950s Mitchell Paper 3.jpg

2. Here's a photo of the "fine print". I don't recall ever seeing this mark on any of my other paperwork/advertising.
Attachment:
1950s Mitchell Paper 4.jpg

I agree that our European based Mates may have additional information on this particular find. You're probably right about the UK origination and that was my thought also. I'll also send the photos to Christian (Liondor) in France, he may also have some information on this item (shoot, he probably has 10 of them in his collection :sHa_lol: ). I'll post what I learn from him.

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 pm • #  

Will be interesting to see what Christian can add...I'm sure he knows...a simple search of Annecy, France, finds the nearest "large" town near Cluses, France. About 20 miles Southwest. The Imp. Garcet could be the name of the Imp/Exp company Mitchell used to distribute, or even produce the leaflet, which was located in Annecy.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 am • #  

Hey Chris, Sandman, and Mates,

"Imp. Gardet" = Imprimerie Gardet. Imprimerie translates as printer.

There is even a brief statement on Facebook:
Quote:
Annecy Impression à Seynod, c'est l'ex Imprimerie Gardet dont le centenaire avait été fêté il y a déjà quelques années.

Annecy Printing in Seynod is the former Imprimerie Gardet whose centenary had been celebrated a few years ago.

Chris,

Thanks for answering my questions. Also, I forgot to say in my first reply, great find!

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply