Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 pm • #  

I haven't found any videos that shows/discusses how to wind the line evenly to the spool. My reel line winds onto the spool in a conical shape-wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. The axle seems to move up and down properly. I assume the bail must be out of adjustment-but no adjustment screws. I could use some suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 am • #  

robrob, :sSig_welcome4:
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum (MRM)

There can be a number of reasons why this is happening. Since I don't know which reel you have here are some suggestions that work on Mitchell 300 models and several others.
Some EZ things to check first: :sHa_yes:
-Take the spool off and check for damage to the bottom where the axle rod pushes into the spool. Check for sand, dirt fishing line and crud.
-Once you have the spool off, check the Axle shaft for any of the above and note the tiny little pointed gear that goes around the Axle for damage, dirt, etc. The little gear has to mate with the gear cut out in the bottom of the spool, in order for the spool to attach correctly.
-Pop the spool back on and make sure the spool is inserted correctly onto the reel and seated properly.
-Check the spool wing nut, brake spring for damage or missing parts.
About 50% of the time this fixes the problem for me. If no luck then you will have to trouble shoot deeper into the problem.

1) Give us some more info. like: Which model reel is it, what kind of line are you using? Which spool are you using small or large capacity.
2) How about posting a few photos of the reel with the spool on it?
3) Have you or someone recently taken the reel apart?
4) Is it your reel or someone elses?

Check to see if you have the correct spool for the reel. (Sellers on eBay do not always list the correct spool to reel numbers.) I recently bought a reel on eBay and it had a totally incorrect spool on it and it was jammed on so tight I had to take the reel apart to get that wrong spool off.
:sSic_yuk:
If you know which model reel it is, look at the link below to see if your reel looks like what is shown.
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... hotos.html

If you can get the model and version of your reel then see if there is a schematic of it listed. See link below:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... hotos.html

Go to the schematic of your reel and note the exploded diagram. See if your reel is put together correctly and has all of the parts shown in the diagram.

If your reel is put together correctly with all of the correct parts in place and still no luck there are other more complicated steps that one of our experts can suggest.

Start with the easy steps and work your way along, you will get it worked out, after all its a Mitchell! :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 pm • #  

To Great Laker: The model # 5493055 (dated 1963 or 1969) reel does have a line guide (#81052) and line guide screw (#81053) missing. This could be my problem. But where can I locate the parts? I assume they are obsolete.
Thanks for your help as I am a rookie with the Mitchell reel.
ROB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 am • #  

robrob wrote:
To Great Laker: The model # 5493055 (dated 1963 or 1969) reel does have a line guide (#81052) and line guide screw (#81053) missing. This could be my problem. But where can I locate the parts? I assume they are obsolete.
Thanks for your help as I am a rookie with the Mitchell reel.
ROB

ROB,
Well, glad to hear you found out what your problem was or at least part of it anyway. :sHa_okay:
I think the number you give as the model number is actually the serial number. The model number is usually engraved on the front of the reel and it can be a number and the name Mitchell, or Garcia Mitchell (number), or various other names and logos with Mitchell, depending on where it was sold.(eg. France, U.K., Holland, Germany) Garcia was the distributor of U.S.A. Mitchell Reels and I am not sure but I think North America. The engraved names appear to be white. Here is a list of all the different models that were made:

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... -1989.html

The part number 81052 was used on the following Models: 300, 300C, 301, 301C, 300DL, 304, 304S, 305, 308, 309, 314, 350, 351, 358, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 500.
The part number 81053 was used on these Models: 300, 300C, 301, 301C, 304, 304S, 305, 308, 309, 314, 315, 351, 358, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 500.

As far as locating parts, the most common source of Mitchell parts is, I believe, eBay. :sCh_fisherman:
There are also reel repair shops that carry certain Mitchell reel parts that you could try. Normally, you can find listings of Reel Repair Shops on the internet.

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 pm • #  

Bill, Thank you for your reply.
ROB

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm • #  

Great Laker: Installing the line guide and screw corrected the problem. Again thanks for your assistance. ROB

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:18 am • #  

This topic caught my eye. Being a novice and learning here every time I'm here.
I remember back in the 70's going to a sporting store. This is when you bought line, and they would offer to put it on by machine. Having my spool in the car I agreed. When I got to the creek and took the first cast, the line was on reverse :blush . I had to walk the whole line off the spool.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:20 pm • #  

don309,
This has long since been a common problem with having a store put line on for you. :sCh_taz: If they have the reel they can tell which way to put it on if they know what they are doing. :blush

So how should line be wound on a reel? :sCo_hmmthink:

Well, if you look at a Mitchell 300, holding it so the spool is facing you, and turn the handle you will notice that the rotating head turns counter-clockwise. :sHa_biggrin:
Now take a modern, popular reel like say the Shimano Stradic and do the same thing and you will notice that the bail turns clockwise. :eek So which direction is correct? :sCo_hmmthink:
Well, to my way of thinking they are both correct. It just depends on the design of the reel. :sBo_bounce2:

By the way, you can still have a sporting goods store put line on your reel or a spool today. Try Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. Just remember now days you might want to bring the entire reel with you so the clerk will be able to tell which direction the reel turns and which direction to put the line on. :sCh_fisherman:

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:57 pm • #  

Bill
Ever since that time I apply my own line. I fish with both 204 and 308 reels mainly. I put the line on, the same way with both.
1. I get a container of water, place the spool of line face up in the water (a little weight to hold spool down).
2 Then I run the line through the 1st eye of my rod, and spool it onto my reel. With a small amount to tension through my fingers.
Doing it with water the line loses it's memory.
The only problem, I have had is to much line.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 am • #  

I thought it might be a good idea to put some new line on my 'user' 4th version reel using an early half bail as they have such great line-lay, with their level wind gearing.

Whilst this worked with one spool and one type of line it just wouldn't work with another spool and some 10lb Vanish fluorocarbon line. It went on in a conical manner and just fell off the spool in a heap...absolutely no good for fishing with.

In the end I altered the spool inside on my lathe to allow the spool to go back a little further on its backing...and it STILL wouldn't go on level!

So I cheated completely and wound the line on by hand, like the distance caster competitors do...just perfect!

You do need a lathe that reverses for a 300 spool though.....

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply