Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Reel Stands
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:53 am • #  

I noticed the clear/plexiglas stands that some use to display their reels. I was wondering if they are commercially made? I'll looking for a source for reasonably priced stands. Can anyone point me to a source/contact.

Andrew

Post subject: Re: Reel Stands
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm • #  

Hi Andrew,

I'm not aware of any company currently making reel stands. Mitchell made several models of reel stands for vendors/shops over the years and these can be found occasionally. Here are some of mine that I use to display some of my collection.
Attachment:
Stands.jpg

The two on the left are very hard to find and quite costly when you do. They display the reel by placing the reel stem in a slot or in the case of a Mitchell 500 Series, the forked foot in a notch in the upright of the stand. I believe these two styles were made in the late 1970s / early 1980s. The middle one is a little more common and the reel body sits in the notches of the two uprights. I believe that this stand is from the mid 1980s. The white stand is one of two that I own and the only two of these that I have seen. The reel fits on the stand between the rotor and the body which fits in the notch of the upright and with the body resting on the base of the stand. I'm not sure of the years on this one but I would say 1960s
Attachment:
Stands 1.jpg

The one on the far right is of my own making it's from 2016 :sFun_rofl: .
Attachment:
Stands 2.jpg

I make these out of 3/16 Plexiglas which I cut to size. This one is for an ultra light (304, 308, 320 etc) I also make medium (300, 400 etc.) and large for the Saltwaters. Once cut out, I notch one end with a dremel coarse sanding drum and then place in my vice (with rubber pads) and use a heat gun to warm the plexi until I can bend it to the proper angle. I really like my design (not to brag :smokin ) because the reel sits upright and nothing detracts from the reel itself - presents a very clean appearance. You can see my reels on this stand in most of my posts. I do know of a fellow Collector in the UK who makes beautiful stands similar to the two left stands in the above photo out of oak. He sells them occasionally and they are quite pricy but works of art. There is also another Collector in Europe who makes a very nice stand with a wood base and a brass bow - beautiful but I don't know much about them or the maker.

So there's my entire knowledge of reel stands in a single post. Possibly other Mates have different examples or additional information

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm • #  

Hey Chris!

Is there a new garage start up industry about to happen???

Gates did it so can you!!! :tup

Reely

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:31 am • #  

Hello,

Attached here, some Mitchell stands as I found them.

The least common is the first, the round one, probably the first type of stand.

The second from the right, from a fishing shop, has a plate with Mitchell 316 and the sale price (180.40 francs).

Very few documents on these stands, join the assembly instructions
Best regards
Attachment:
P1200890.JPG

Attachment:
DISPLAY.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:05 am • #  

Yes Chris I'm sure you could sell a few of those stands if you wanted to make some extra cash...... to buy more reels!

Thanks everyone for sharing what you have/know on reel stands. I may have to come-up with a design of my own.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:08 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
From the first time I saw the images of these Mitchell stands, I've wanted to try to make a wooden one, stained rosewood, to hang either my first version Mitchell, or early 2nd . (If I ever found one)
I think I could get someone to make a plate with the long hand version of Mitchell that would match the "Mitchell" on the side plate. But will I ever get the time? :sAng_scream:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:01 pm • #  

Hey Ted , Better hurry up because if your like me we've got one foot on top of a moss covered rock , and the other wader leg with a small leak and filling up fast. LOL John in Pa.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am • #  

Guys,

Thanks for the info on the stands. At some point I'll probably take a crack at making a few stands, probably out of maple. Could one of you give me the approximate dimensions of the Mitchell "tower" type stands? Base: X inches by X inches, and the tower in X inches high. This would be a great starting point. Thanks.

Andrew

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply