Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 306 Dating
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm • #  

SCORE! I found a nice 306 on the local Craigslist for a reasonable price. Double red band with white spool and plastic arbor, France on foot, original box, manual, parts diagram, and an envelope (no warranty card.) The seller claimed that it had never been used, but there was a piece of line underneath the arbor. Seems to be in excellent condition. S/N looks like H0S0103, but I'm guessing that it's actually H050103 with some sort of doublestrike (see attached.) Does anyone have an idea of when it was manufactured?
Attachment:
306 SN a.jpg
Attachment:
306 a.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 306 Dating
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm • #  

Very nice reel!

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm • #  

jr, nice 306 and welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum... :sSig_welcome4:

In 1977 the serial numbering convention changed from the first letter indicating year followed by sequential numbering, to the first letter indicating year followed by month/date numbering. Below is how that works. Your reel was produced in 1978, though the month/date numbers following the year letter are confusing. The 050 (Feb 19) does not align with 03 (March)...this usually does not happen...perhaps the overstamping has created this problem.

Sandman

Example: H117404 on the bottom of the foot. The reel was made in 1978 on April 27. H= 1978. 117= that day from Jan 1st which is the 27th day of April, the 04 on the end is the month, the 4 in the middle is the production line. This numbering convention ran from 1977-84.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:29 am • #  

Then, the 050 would generally be the number of the day of the year as opposed to the number of production days?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:25 pm • #  

Correct, the first three numerals, after the letter, represent the day in the calendar year it was produced...in this case, it just doesn't line up with March, the last two digits that represent the month in the numbering convention used during this time...again, this is why it leads me to believe something is wrong with the stamping...either way, we know it is a 1978 reel...we know this from the "H" and from the attributes of the reel...I would call it a March 1978 reel...if the five was a 6, 7, 8 or 9...it would all align correctly with March...maybe it is actually a 6, 8 or 9 and the stamping is deceiving because of the double or overstamping...maybe they tried to change the five to a 6, 8 or 9 because it was put together later than anticipated, and that made it difficult to interpret...things like this are not uncommon in the Mitchell world...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:07 pm • #  

Sandman,

Thanks so much for the info. I do find that I am still curious. When I look at a calendar for 1978, February 19th appears to have been a Sunday. I'm wondering whether it was a normal practice to work on Saturday or Sunday, or was there a particular reason.

Thanks again,
J.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 pm • #  

jr, I don't know if they stamped weekend production days on reels (I'd have to check a bunch of mine)... but if they didn't (and as you point out it's reasonably questionable) that makes my theory all the more plausible...I don't think your reel number of 050 is accurate...I think the overstamping is skewing what that number looks like and therefore really is...I think it is either 060, 070, 080 or 090...these are the only middle numbers that align with March (the 03 at the end)...haven't checked the calendar for these dates being on weekends or if 090 is still in March...worth the exercise, I suppose...hard to tell..looks like all the digits were stamped twice...like they had the number wrong (the 5 was wrong), corrected the stamping machine and sent it through again...whats odd is that is does look like a "5" and then an "S", but maybe that is supposed to be an "8" which would align with March...

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply