Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:27 pm • #  

Well I'll be :sAng_banghead2: :sAng_banghead2: :sAng_banghead2: ........I'm still digesting this and trying to :sCo_hmmthink: :sCo_hmmthink: . You're right Kim - and we thought early Mitchell was confusing.
George, Interesting points with the Mitchell logo and something too that deserves attention. I think all of this may some how play together.........…But HOW! :sCh_taz: :sCh_taz: .
Thank you Kim for providing such an important part to this mystery - WOW, just WOW!

More to follow too.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 pm • #  

Here are the final important pictures of this parts diagram. I myself seeing the actual date of 1992 and seeing who owned the company before is Chris pointed out Pure Fishing on the back of the cardboard piece in the blister pack makes you wonder. At least we have a better understanding of what is going on.
Kim :sSa_sadeyes: :sSa_sadeyes: :sAni_fish: :sCh_fisherman:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 am • #  

Hello,
Just two pictures of the 1998 and 2001 Mitchell boxes with different USA address and modified "MITCHELL" logos
I bought the 1998 box in April 2000.
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
BTE1.JPG

Attachment:
BTE 2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 am • #  

What is the 9* number inside the print box/frame containing “VT 300” on the schematic of the boxed Mitchell Sports Century Reel [I can’t make it out from the schematic GreatLaker (Bill) posted in this thread]?

Kim (piscesman) showed that Johnson Fishing Inc. serviced the warranty of the blisterpack reel. "In 2000 Pure Fishing acquired the Johnson Fishing Tackle Division from JWA." (JWA = Johnson Worldwide Associates.)
http://www.johnsonfishing.com/Johnson-about-johnson.html

Is an explanation presenting itself?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am • #  

Thanks Christian, this seems to indicate that Pure Fishing introduced the oval logo after 2000, which would certainly give us a firmer date for the blister pack Century with the same logo on the packaging.

Kim, the documents from your blister pack add to the confusion, but are not unusual for this period, as there was a similar mixed bag in my Century boxed reel:

Attachment:
300 Century Box .25.JPG

This is a Mitchell Sports era, Taiwan made box, with a code of IM 88043, which suggest to me a manufacturing date of 1988, or perhaps a reprint without changing the code?

Attachment:
300 Century Box papers .25.JPG

Here is the schematic, with a code number of IM 90064, which suggests a 1990 print date.

Attachment:
300 Century Box Johnson Warranty .25.JPG

This is the Johnson Warranty with a code number of 93/2, suggesting a 1993 print date.

I can only add three files, so please follow this on to my next post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 am • #  

Here is the front of my Century box. There are three stickers attached, the 300 Century logo sticker, top right, the Free Extra Spool sticker, top left, and a gold oval sticker, bottom left - Controle Checked, Marignier France.

Attachment:
300 Century Box front .25.JPG

So, possibly, the first production of the 300 Century, under Johnson's ownership, was manufactured in Taiwan, shipped to Marignier, where the box stickers were attached and the paperwork added (possibly from paperwork left over in the facility there from the Mitchell Sports ownership period)? and the package assembled for European distribution?

Then, maybe, when Pure Fishing manufactured the model again after 2000, they used up left over inventory of the Johnson Warranty? There is plenty of other evidence of similar transition situations, for example, I have found Browning guarantees in 1984 Mitchell Sports boxes.

A lot of conjecture, I realise, but the explanation seem to fit what we are seeing in the contents.

George

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Thank you all for your outstanding contributions. I think I'm starting to form an opinion which doesn't differ much from my earlier philosophy but that doesn't matter much without group buy-in. I find it odd that while two different companies manufactured this reel and I think several years apart, Johnson Fishing Inc. is the warrantee (if that's the proper term) for both of these reels - perhaps that is where John's (etranger) research expertise comes in. What we haven't done is opened these reels up....So here goes (I think if Kim can cut open a NIP Century, it's the least I can do). Both of these reels are all original and I'm certain have never been opened - the China reel screws weren't as tight as the Taiwan reel for what that's worth.
Attachment:
Open Centurys.jpg

The Taiwan will always be on the left and the China is on the right.
Attachment:
Open Centurys 1.jpg

They are essentially identical with the M8 gearing - but there are some differences. Note the A/R rotators, the Taiwan reel is painted on the inside of the faceplate as well as the body where the China reel is raw aluminum inside both. There are also casting marks in the Taiwan faceplate - none in China.

By the way Mates removing fine phillips head screws from two mint reels is a pain - They can go from NIB/Mint to very nice with a slip of the screwdriver!!!

More to follow.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This is the Taiwan Century 300. Note the metal flake paint on the internal body and the Circle "CY" casting mark in the lower left of the body. Also the axel slide looks to be set in to be noted back by the lube port.
Attachment:
Open Centurys T.jpg

The faceplate also has the silver metal flake paint and an odd casting mark where the A/R reinforcement would be on the outside. The internal A/R actuator is dimpled?
Attachment:
Open Centurys T1.jpg

Now for the China Century 300.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This is the China Century 300. Note 4 casting marks on four corners of the oscillation guide and the raw aluminum internal body. The axel guide is the same.
Attachment:
Open CenturysC.jpg

The internals of the faceplate is raw aluminum (not painted), and no casting marks. The A/R actuator is smooth.
Attachment:
Open Centurys C1.jpg

Gears and silent A/R dog are the same in both reels. Please take a close look for any differences I may not have noticed.

I also think that the Mitchell logo that George and Christian provided also plays a very important role in narrowing down when these reels were made. As was pointed out earlier, clearly not the same reel or of the same year.

The owners manuals/schematics support that they are two different reels of different years. I noted that Kim's schematic had 7 digit part numbers for the painted parts (Body, Faceplate, drag knob) on the China reel where the earlier Mitchell Sports schematic for the Taiwan reel did not. But why 7 digit and I have no reference material that I can cross reference these part numbers - from 1992 and back, not a problem - I can even tell you what they were made from. After that - Nothing!

This is a great conversation and we may be very close to a conclusion...….however like everything else in Mitchell history is there ever an exact conclusion. Thanks Mates!

Kind Regards,
Chris

Oh! And Mates that China Century 300 that I took photos of is an extra without packaging or paperwork, it's new and Mint - Not my NIP one!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm • #  

Kim,
All kidding aside, I can't say thank you enough for posting the Century 300-Pure fishing version schematic. Your generosity and thoughtfulness in sacrificing your sealed real for others is overwhelming. :sSig_youtheman: Also, thank you for posting the great photos which are extremely exciting to study and have opened up a whole new area regarding the 300 Century reels and beyond.

Chris,
I enjoyed your theory from your September 7, 2019 post and have to tell you I was thinking many of the same thoughts

gpsaul,
After reading your September 12 post regarding the 50th Anniversary reels I realized that the designation Mitchell Sports gave to the 300 Century Reel calling it a: "Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Reel", was also partially given to another black Mitchell 300 reel as you mention. Although not designated as a Century it was called a 50th Anniversary reel. This can be confusing. If you say I bought a new "50th Anniversary reel", are you talking about a silver or a black colored reel. :sFun_bricks:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:15 pm • #  

Chris,
How fantastic it is to see these new photo's. Thank you for posting them and blowing my mind again. Alas, my mind was already blown earlier by Kim and I am having trouble keeping up with you. :sFun_oldguy:
I am still thinking about what to call the two versions of the 300 Century or how to refer to them. Calling them the "50th Anniversary Reels" won't do, and "Special Edition Reels" just doesn't seem to work either. :sFun_bricks:

Then there is the confusion with Pure Fishing, who put their name and logo on the front of the blister pack and Johnson Fishing, Inc., on the owner/user/schematic manual/paperwork that Kim just revealed to us. :sSa_sadeyes:

And let's not forget that there is the China reel and the Taiwan reel. China denoted by a purple sticker placed on the mounting foot (am I missing another location?) and Made in Taiwan printed on the bottom of the Mitchell Sports box and wherever else. But what if you don't have the box and there is no longer a purple sticker on the reel foot? How do you differentiate between the two? How can we talk about these two versions and know what the other is referring to? :sCo_huhsign: :sCo_hmmthink:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply