Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:14 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 300A question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:51 am • #  

Sorry to say I don't pay much attention to dating etc. But my daughter gave me a box of a assortment of reels, a co worker gave her. It has a few 300's all needing part. One caught my eye, and I'd like to know what I have here. Now my eye's aren't what they use to be, even with a magnifying glass! It needs a spool, the axle has a large diameter, should I want to get one. Do I just want to search 300A, or is the date going to be a factor? The serial # seems to be M243108???
I'm guessing one or more of you know what I have :sFun_eyescan: .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: 300A question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:01 pm • #  

Hey Don,
Congrats on the reels from your daughter. If you have white lettering on the rotor it's a 1982 2nd issue from Browning. Some internal modifications. Came with an aluminum spool. Handle has black plastic tightner opposite end of grip. If black and silver decal on rotor then 1980/81. Hope this helps......
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:05 pm • #  

Kim, thanks for the information! It didn't come with a spool. The rotor is black and silver. Just for kicks I started tearing it down. The inside is a mess, seems like rust more than dried grease. Holding in parts, I have put some PB blaster in it. I id get the oscillating slide out, but the axle won't come out. I'll give it some time to soak. But also found the small gear on the main gear, broke off about 3 or 4 teeth. Thinking it may not be something I want to put money into.
I'll try to clean up the parts, and see how it looks and give it to someone that may need it. So if anyone wants it, just for shipping cost from PA.
Don

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:25 pm • #  

Don, the photo shows the spool base still on the axle. Need to press the top button to remove the spool base. Any Mitchell 300 spool will work on that reel

Sandman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:18 pm • #  

Sandman,
My bad I did have it off, even undid the hex nut. The rotor head/pinion gear , started coming right off. So I tried pulling a little no luck, Ill wait overnight with the PB Blaster and see.
Thanks for the get back!
Don

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am • #  

piscesman wrote:
Hey Don,
Congrats on the reels from your daughter. If you have white lettering on the rotor it's a 1982 2nd issue from Browning. Some internal modifications. Came with an aluminum spool. Handle has black plastic tightner opposite end of grip. If black and silver decal on rotor then 1980/81. Hope this helps......
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Kim,
It is my understanding Browning distributed the 300A double white painted band reels between 1980 and 1981 and it is uncertain whether or not they (Browning) were still involved in 1982. By 1983 Mitchell Sports had begun distributing the 300A double white painted band reels as well. The only way I have heard of, besides the box and paperwork, to tell the Browning from the Mitchell Sports double white painted band reels, is the presence of the new silent anti-reverse which came with Mitchell Sports but this is unclear.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 am • #  

Yep back again. After a couple days of PB Blaster I got the reel broke down. I have worked on some reels that were in bad shape, But this one takes the cake! Never did I have trouble removing the axle with everything around it removed. Had to remove the lube port screw, and tap it out. There is a lot of corrosion on all the parts, This is why I coat my reels with yep yet again Corrosion Block. So this morning I took a dremel, with a cooper brush to a few parts. Working pretty good. Today I will work on the corrosion in the housing even in the axle slot. No I don't like writing corrosion LOL.
So I want to put this out there now, If I feel it cleans up nice enough. Would anyone have a drive gear (I don't know the part number does anyone) at a fair price? I'll also check with my parts suppliers. Also going to need a spool.
I'm only doing this reel because of the challenge, and I like the rotor head look.
I know some are thinking this guy gets long winded :sFun_eyescan: :sFun_bricks:
Thanks, Don

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:07 pm • #  

Hi Don,

Looks like quite the project - Good Luck with that one. It will be a nice accomplishment to get it ready to go back on the water though. :tup

The main gear for the 330A is Part# 82594 (Late 1970s) or 83444 (early 1980s) - they're interchangeable. But that really doesn't matter because I have a bunch of 300A parts to include the main gears (very lightly used from the looks of them). I don't collect Mitchells that late so I don't have any in my collection. If you PM me your address, I'll be happy to put one in the mail to you. :sHa_okay:

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 pm • #  

Don,

Your 300A Main Gear went out in the mail this morning - You should have it this weekend. Happy New Year!

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:35 pm • #  

Chris,
Thank you very much, I owe you down the line! Happy New Year!!
Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:21 am • #  

Update
So after a LOT of cleaning, brushing (brass dremel) and steel wool.
EVERYTHING was rusted. It is ready to go fishing! Though some may put it aside, due to gear vibration. 1 new main gear 2 original gears.
Special thanks to cshannon772, who came through with the main gear!! :sSig_thankyou:

Sorry I just realized this post is under the wrong topic :sEm_oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:41 pm • #  

Don, brother, you may be able to improve the gear issue with a bit of shimming.

There are a few posts on the subject.

Glen

PS I still like your dog!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:12 am • #  

Glen for you :sSig_offtopic:
1st picture when I rescued him at 4 months.
2nd him at 3 years.
3rd I live on a 2nd floor, on the rail is a cow bell he rings to go out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 am • #  

Definitely a KEEPER!

Glen

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply