Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:36 pm • #  

Can the handles be taken apart?
Recently I purchased one with just the handle missing, I am not at home and can not try with one. I have 4 handles just curious?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:23 pm • #  

You can take apart the knob and screw if that's what your talking about. Or you can remove the handle holding the rotating head and turn the handle counter clockwise.
Don

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:51 pm • #  

Yes, I would imagine their is a spring inside once it comes apart, the parts breakdown only shows handle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm • #  

No I'm talking about taking just the handle apart the release nut should unscrew and handle should come apart, I don't have one here or I would try it. inside should be a spring that holds handle from turning once u pull handle it unlocks allowing handle to fold for storage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 am • #  

Shrack, the 300 handle counterweight does not come off the shaft. Neither the first version or the second version (1967)...this is why the schematic does not show them broken down.

First version is spring loaded (this is the one that you pull out to twist and fold away)...

Second version is the one you unscrew the counterweight end in order to pull out , twist and fold away. It is not designed to unscrew all the way until it comes apart...if it does, someone has unscrewed it too far past the stop...usually they are broken when this happens.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:13 am • #  

Thank you that is what I wanted to know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 pm • #  

Hello Schrack, If you look closely at the counterweight end you can usually see the 4 or 6 peen marks that stop the end from unscrewing all the way off. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm • #  

What is correct screw size for handle screw that attachs hande to reel? It looks like 5mm, not sure if its fine or standard, tried a 5mm it went in cocked and would not screw into reel. Thank You for response.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 pm • #  

Hello Schrack, if your talking about a 300 handle I presume your talking about the stud that screws into the handle & the main gear. I'm not sure of the size bu you have to remember that is a reverse or left handed thread ( counterclockwise to screw in ), plus the fact that it's metric causes another problem. If it was right handed all you need is a small set of metric taps to find out but you need set of left hand taps :sAng_scream: , good luck in finding them. I'm sure one of the Mates will come up with an answer for you. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:03 pm • #  

The handle is on left so that would be right handed, size is 5mm certain of that. Do ypu think garcia would have any avail able? What u r saying its a left hand thread. See what hardware store has, if i can find screw that fis just wack it to right size with dremel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm • #  

The threads go the opposite direction to a normal screw. Turn left to tighten and right to loosen. It's that way so that as you are cranking line in, you will tighten the handle, not loosen it.

It's exactly opposite of the normal, "Lefty loosey, righty tighty."

J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm • #  

Solved problem, used wide blade screw driver, handle unscrewed entire way, goes back together with resistance after unlocked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm • #  

Solved problem, used wide blade screw driver, handle unscrewed entire way, goes back together with resistance after unlocked.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply