Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:33 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Anyone around
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:25 am • #  

Where the heck has everyone gone??

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: Anyone around
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:07 am • #  

Don, I was wondering the same thing. Some days would show over a hundred people/guests on line but not a peep from anyone.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 am • #  

Rick, well people haven't been able to join, MRM for over a year.
But with all he old members, you'd think their would be more actively. Maybe one day the whole site will be up and running :tup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 pm • #  

Well Don,
It only takes a few people to poison a well (actually only two - one has several login identities) and then nobody comes to drink. We all still check in - just not interested in the drama and agenda that these people seem to live for. Perfectly happy with my collecting, observations and thoughts here in the Reel Room - Discussions with Mates via other media. The "Other Two" don't seem to have much to contribute to the Mitchell Museum....But that's only my observation.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:29 am • #  

Chris,
I understand completely!! But I don't let the few bad apples (bullies), spoil the things I like!!! I just ignore them, but it would be nice to have an ignore button. That bothers them more than answering them, more than arguing with them!!!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I'll be cooking my turkey on my weber grill again this year.
But not the one I cure my paint on :sSig_lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 pm • #  

Dear Chris and Don,

I assume I am one of "the other two" so I hope I will be allowed to reply.

Firstly, I do not use several log-in identities. When I first joined I posted as "Tinca", and then I left. I re-joined at the request of some members and had to create a new user-name : hence "Jeremy Fisher". Two of the members I most respect have each had 3 user-names (I think) for the same reason.

I have no agenda. I am extremely interested in the history of Mitchell reels because this informs my collecting decisions. Our hobby is still in it's infancy so there is still much to be discovered. As new information has come to light it has been made available on this forum. The fact that 6 topics I have posted in "History Discussions" have averaged 14500 views each, suggests there is plenty of interest. Wallace Carney is a passionate historian and has allowed me to publish information here even when it contradicts his views. He could stop it at any time if he so wished.

You are absolutely right, Don, if a subject is of no interest to you, just ignore it. I believe in the maxim "live and let live".

I am not aware of any bullying on this site, but if there is any, it is for the moderators to deal with.

As a result of my membership of this site I have got to know several collectors and information has been discussed and shared. A digital book has been prepared and shared free of charge with many individuals.

It is regrettable that there is not more interest in this forum, but this has been a problem for many years. Perhaps when the re-built site is up and running, there will be a change. The fact that Mitchell collectors have a history of squabbling and falling out does not help. With that in mind I have no intention of saying any more on the subject here.

Regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:38 pm • #  

Hi Don & Rolands, First I'd like to say to Don ,your turkey looks delicious on the grill and the table ,although on the table he looks a little lonely. And Rolands your absolutely right about life. Live and let live in these difficult times were in. If your that thin skinned that you can't take criticism maybe you need to do some soul searching or go out and buy a suit of armor to wear when you click on the Mitchell Reel Museum. Regards to all, and I hope everyone can start the new year out on a better foot. John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm • #  

:sFun_rofl: :sFun_rofl:
And there you have it Mates. I knew these two Wingnuts would respond - They can't help themselves. The sad part is neither are smart enough to realize that THEY are the reason almost nobody posts in the Forum anymore.
Rolands, the last statement in your post demonstrates just how oblivious you are to reality.... It has no basis in fact. I'd suggest some self reflection, but your call.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:43 am • #  

Dear John in PA,

I am sorry that you have got dragged into this nonsense : Mr. Shannon clearly doesn't realize that more than one member of this Forum is called John.

Whilst writing may I offer you the compliments of the season and all good things for 2021.

Dear Chris,

This really has to stop.

It is interesting to note that this Forum became dormant after your ill-considered post of 30th. May this year.

You can prod and provoke all you like, I am not going to get into an argument with you.

Regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:42 pm • #  

Hello Mates,
At the request of several of our Mates I’m going to resume posting and becoming active in the MRM Forums again. Admittedly, I have missed our sharing of information and interactions with a great group of fellow Mitchell collectors and enthusiasts. But first, I want to clear the air with both Rolands and John. I find it amusing that you two knew exactly who I was talking about in my previous post – So did the other Mates who read it….Why is that?? The only people that considered my May 30 post “ill considered” was you, and as always John backed you up. The majority of the active Mates at the time agreed with me. The reason the forum went dormant was you, so don’t play the pitiful victim; you brought this on. I continued to interact with many of the other active Mates through PM and email. Rolands, recently you posted a beautiful Mitchell in the ultra rare brown box. An exceptional find and a fantastic addition to your collection – How many people commented on that post and congratulated you on a wonderful find and posting……..None! I’m wondering, what does that tell you??

I’m willing to “bury the hatchet” and move forward anew but you two understand this. Previously I mostly ignored (not always) your grade school antics, backhanded comments and petty nit-picking of my posts – not anymore. I will respond in kind and you won’t appreciate it. If you wish to respond, even if you disagree with my assessment or observation – that’s fine, I welcome it. Point out our disagreement based on your research, references and actual facts. I’m not always correct and am happy to be educated if you’re stating actual data. I’ll happily engage in a mature constructive discussion with anyone. For John: you have repeatedly, in a backhanded manner, referred to me as thin skinned. As a point of reference for you, I spent 30 years operating submarines in the U.S. Navy – a personally and professionally unforgiving environment. You couldn’t hurt my feelings if you insulted my mother and ran over me with your car. Likewise, I have a very low tolerance for BS and pettiness….so drop it and move on.

I’m hoping that the other previously active Mates will join me in re-engaging with the Forum but time will tell. I have also been in communication with other Mitchell collectors/enthusiasts around the world who I’m sure will join our Group once the MRM will accept new registrations. We can make this a great experience for everyone involved but the previous antics have to stop. I’m looking forward to posting a few additions to the Reel Room in the Forum this evening.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:18 am • #  

Dear Chris,

Your strident and aggressive tone is not appropriate for a public forum, and I find it offensive. If that is your idea of burying the hatchet, I don't know what to say.

I have no intention of getting into a tit for tat argument with you. My post of 30th. May made my position clear.

When I look through the topics I posted in the History Section I see lively, constructive and interesting discussion. Your absence from these discussions was commented on, but that was your choice. I am pleased to see that the Brown Box has had around 1000 views.

I have in the past offered to discuss with you privately. Indeed, I remember when you contacted me for information and advice. I am sorry that my views on early reels cause you such concern, but they have been well researched.

I think you owe John in PA an apology : he is not the member you are thinking of.

As far as I am concerned this matter is closed and I apologise to members for what has passed here. If you wish to continue this, Chris, contact me privately.

Regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:17 am • #  

:sSig_welcome2: Welcome back Chris! :sSig_welcome2: :tup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 am • #  

Good Morning Mates,

I have made myself perfectly clear. Rolands, How you decide to comment (or not) on my posts going forward will determine our future interactions. I have nothing more to say concerning this thread.

Don, Thank you for the Welcome Back! I look forward to re-engaging with the Mates...It's good to be back. :tup

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:31 am • #  

Thanks for the pictures of the bird! :sFi_flamethrower:
Randy

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply