Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:27 am • #  

Hi All,

In my recent buying spree of various Mitchells, primarily 300's,400's and 410's I picked up a 300 that I wasn't certain about...
Usually if a seller posts enough decent pictures, I can determine
pretty safely if a reel will clean up or if it will be a parts reel, but one of the 300's that I bought was a mystery until it arrived today.

I had convinced myself that it would probably be a parts reel and I was okay with that, but after unwrapping it, looking closely and giving it a few spins I decided it was to good to be a parts reel, so the disassembly and cleaning began...

When I disassembled the spool which is the correct style for a 1974 reel, I noticed that it had a dark colored fiber washer on the base of the spindle. Not a red washer that had become very dirty over the years, but almost black.
On top it had the usual white teflon style washer that the later reels have. I have never seen a spool with this combination of drag washers before. Were some of them made this way ?
I don't really see a need for the additional washer.

I plan on putting this reel on one of my vintage Wright-McGill spinning rods, and I don't want to put the spool on like this and have it mess up the line lay.

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:17 pm • #  

Hello Mike,

I checked the schematics for the 1974 Mitchell 300 and on the deep spool there is Part# 130 Teflon Base Washer which goes under the spool and on top of the spool base. Part# 81283 Fiber Drag Washer goes under the drag spring and on top of the spool. The shallow spool only has Part# 130 in the same location - No drag washer. I pulled the deep spool of a NIB 1974 300 and the Fiber Drag Washer was in fact black. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:31 pm • #  

cshannon772 wrote:
Hello Mike,

I checked the schematics for the 1974 Mitchell 300 and on the deep spool there is Part# 130 Teflon Base Washer which goes under the spool and on top of the spool base. Part# 81283 Fiber Drag Washer goes under the drag spring and on top of the spool. The shallow spool only has Part# 130 in the same location - No drag washer. I pulled the deep spool of a NIB 1974 300 and the Fiber Drag Washer was in fact black. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the info, and taking the time to check your new spool, I really appreciate it. I don't know why I didn't think to check the schematic :blush
I did forget to mention that it is a shallow spool, which is fine for what I intend to use it for.
I'm confused as to how it ended up with this combination because the reel still had the original grease, and there were no signs that the reel had ever been apart, but it's almost impossible to say that the spool had never been apart. I do know it was absolutely filthy and had almost no lube, and it really didn't want to come apart. It was easily the dirtiest reel that I have ever bought, and I've had some very dirty reels

It still amazes me how many variations that there are in spools,
just in the 300 sized family of reels.
I really surprises me that some have no washer under the spring, but I do remember getting several reels over time that had no drag washer under the spring, and I just assumed someone had taken it out and never put it back in :sEm_oops:

I wonder why the shallow and deep spools had different combinations of washers ? I have at least 40 300 size spools that are currently homeless, and I may have to get them all out and pull each one apart to see what I can find...
I'm going to remove the fiber washer and keep it for future use,
and move the teflon washer to the base of the spindle, as shown in the schematics for the shallow spool.
It's going to feel really odd not having a washer under the spring LOL...

Thanks again
Mike

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply