Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Conolon B460
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 pm • #  

Mates, just got this combo from a guy who was getting rid of his fathers gear...His father bought it new. It's a 7', medium action with fork foot reel mount. The label is a little beat up, but the rest of the rod is pretty good condition. The reel is pretty nice.

I'm wondering if the production year of the rod is known and if this model is the more uncommon of the fork foot models? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sandman

Post subject: Re: Conolon B460
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 pm • #  

More photos

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

A very nice combination :tup . I can't tell you much about your rod but it is definitely the earlier of the forked foot rods. I have only one forked foot rod with the Conolon Live Fiber "Fish" decal on it. It's NOS and the decal is perfect - still has the price tag on it $11.99, a 2460, 6 1/2 foot, light action but looks just like yours...dark brown, same decal and black windings. Unfortunately no rod sock or tube but because the rod has the price tag on it, I'm not sure it came with either. All of my other forked foot rods either have a Mitchell or the Garcia wedge sticker.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 pm • #  

Hey Sandman,

First, if you have not read this earlier thread, you may wish to as it mentions the B460:
Garcia Conolon Rods for our Mitchell Reels page 2 (see doug's replies)

Sandman and Chris,

Second, “Garcia Conolon Live Fiber” inside a fish logo was a trademark registered by Garcia (see registration document below).

Aug-1973: first use in commerce – this means sale or transport of rods documented to USPTO (advertising does not count towards this date)

29-Jul-1976: trademark filed

22-Mar-1977: trademark registered

I don’t know quite what to make of this mark. I cannot find it in my complete set of Garcia Annuals (Mates please advise if I’ve missed something) or any fishing magazine advertisements. It is a resurrection of terms used by Narmco on Conolon-sold rods of the 1950s – not used on any Garcia-sold Conolon rods of that era. As such, it’s somewhat confusing to see this terminology used by Garcia 20+ years later.

Sandman,

Observe the ® in the eye of your fish logo decal and we may also note “MADE IN U.S.A”. Does this mean your rod is post 1976 or 1977?

John

P.S. Also, I could not find B460 in my Garcia Annuals. Maybe you’ve both looked, too?
Attachment:
Garcia_Conolon_live_fiber mark US1061772 s.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm • #  

Chris and John, thanks for the info.

John, I had read that post not too long ago, but it's a good re-read, as the history of the naming of these rods is hard to follow. Below I excerpt from the post, from Doug:

"there are Garcia Conolon live fiber rods and they are very common. I listed the 3 rods that were available 2459 5ft 6, 2560 6ft 6, and B460 7ft. Narmco used the term live fiber and as I said I do not think you will find a Narmco live fiber forked handle rod because Narmco was gone by the time the 500 series reels came out. I have 10 garcia conolon live fiber rods for the 500 series and all state on the decal made in U.S.A."

I guess they are not too uncommon...It's hard for me to figure that Garcia/Conolon would keep making these rods three to four years after they produced the last fork foot reel, as the patent suggests...

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 pm • #  

Hi Sandman and John,

That's funny Sandman, while you were writing your reply I was on the phone with that very same Doug. He's one of my very good friends - we talk at least once a week and get together in person occasionally. He's in his late 70's now but is probably the American equivalent to Christian in France - They both have forgotten more about Mitchell than we will ever know :sFun_oldguy: . In addition to his vast knowledge of everything Mitchell, he is likely the foremost expert on the Mitchell otomatic/330 in the world - just a fascinating man and I'm fortunate to count him as a friend. He's the one who sent me the rod I mentioned earlier in this post so I will get the meaning of his post straight from him in the next couple of days. We have to also consider that Doug was a very serious collector who had an eye for the rare and hard to find items, so for him to say he had 10 of these rods does not surprise me.....the Mitchell items that have passed through his hands are things we dream about - and he still has the records :sFun_shocked:. He has helped me immensely with my collecting and knowledge.....The man is a Mitchell encyclopedia :sCo_hmmthink:

More to follow.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 pm • #  

Hey Chris,

That’s absolutely splendid! I’m so much looking forward to what light Doug might shine on this topic.

Mates,

I had collected some images to provide a backdrop on the coloration/catalog numbers of rods for forked-foot reels, so here are a couple below. As far as a Garcia cataloged/advertised equivalent of a 7’ medium action rod, it looks like that would be the 2583.

John
Attachment:
7100 Garcia Annual 010a Mitchell 510+508.jpg

Attachment:
7104 F&S 111 Mitchell 510+508.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:31 pm • #  

Chris, that is quite a coincidence...It's great you have a good friend that you can share extensive Mitchell knowledge over a beverage...I hope all those records are passed on to someone who can appreciate and share them someday (you?)...

John, thanks for the Garcia info...I agree, it appears the Garcia 2583 is the equivalent of the Garcia Conolon Live Fiber B460...The garcia looks like a better put together rod...

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply