Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

Here is some 1958 Narmco Conolon advertising material.

First a letter about the "Selling Book" to retailers.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon sales_letter.jpg

Next more about the Selling Book from the 4-page, so-called "Counter Attack" mentioned at the bottom of the letter. Hmmm ... facts for the sportsman and the retailer. So, is this a trade catalog or a consumer catalog?
Attachment:
5800 Conolon Counter_Attack 2 Selling_Book.jpg

And then, the actual cover.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 001 cover.jpg

John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 am • #  

Here is more from the Counter Attack.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon Counter_Attack 1 front.jpg

Attachment:
5800 Conolon Counter_Attack 4 items.jpg

OMG a mouse pad prior to the invention of the personal computer. Does anyone have some of this cool stuff?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 am • #  

Pages 8 and 9 mentioned in the letter.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 008 Color.jpg

Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 009 Color.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 am • #  

A couple more selling points.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 005 Conolock.jpg

Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 004 Flex-Guides.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 am • #  

The 1959 catalog with some high tech marketing.
Attachment:
5900 Conolon catalog 001 cover.jpg

Attachment:
5900 Conolon catalog 002.jpg

Attachment:
5900 Conolon catalog 003.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 am • #  

Whoops, I forgot to include content from the 1958 catalog introducing Missilite - Narmco's biggest selling point at the time.
Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 002 Missilite.jpg

Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog 003 Missilite.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:30 pm • #  

Hi John,
Great advertisements and information. Beautiful scans. Thanks for sharing with us.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm • #  

John,

A very informative and interesting post. :clap
After reading the various pages I had many questions and a desire to read the entire history of the fiberglass fishing rod. I would especially like to hear how the progression from fiberglass to boron, to Kevlar, to graphite was made although I'm not sure that was the correct order of evolution.

Does anyone actually have a Conolon Missilite rod? Does it feel quite different from other fiberglass rods? Does it really not have a spline? This post sure gets your curiosity going, at least mine anyways.

Thanks John,
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup :tup

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am • #  

Hey Dennis2149 and GreatLaker,

I’m glad you like the images and information.

GreatLaker,
Quote:
Does anyone actually have a Conolon Missilite rod?

Well, the Teeny-Tiny fly and spinning rods have Missilite blanks (although not labeled on the decal – whereas there are also Missilite-labeled rods).
Teeny-Tiny Twins ~1957 by Narmco Conolon

I would also speculate that it is likely Garcia Companion rods with Thermotex blanks (’59) and Garcia Conolon rods (‘60+) were Missilite. Otherwise, Narmco would have needed 2 different manufacturing processes – 1 for Garcia-branded rods and 1 for Conolon-branded rods.

Quote:
Does it feel quite different from other fiberglass rods?

The comparison would be to earlier fiberglass rods. Yes, Missilite is noticeably stiffer, but still with soft/slow action. First generation fiberglass rods are much wispier.

Quote:
Does it really not have a spline?

Well, likely less of a spline compared to earlier blanks – but even modern graphite blanks get spine tested/placed by custom rod wrappers.

Just by rotating a couple Missilite rods between my fingers, I could not feel a spline. I did not do bend testing for the spine.

I could feel a spline in a couple of my early ‘50s custom-wrapped Sila-flex rods. I got a little angry that it was 90° to the right of the line guides versus aligned with or opposite to the guides. But then, I read that was also a recommended approach - providing equal forward and back flex, while aligned or opposite is never perfect resulting in a slight sideways flex (or so the argument goes).

Quote:
... I had many questions and a desire to read the entire history of the fiberglass fishing rod. I would especially like to hear how the progression from fiberglass to boron, to Kevlar, to graphite was made although I'm not sure that was the correct order of evolution.

I would try some internet searching. You will likely find some helpful articles and blogs. (Books I have, I would not recommend for your interests.)

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply