Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm • #  

Attachment:
Garcia_conolon_live_fiber mark b.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia_Conolon_live_fiber mark US1061772 s.jpg

Hey Mates,

First let me say any clarification, addition, or correction is highly welcome.

I, and probably other Mates as well, need a better understanding of the Garcia Conolon Live Fiber (GCLF) line of rods – not to be confused with Conolon Live Fiber (CLF) rods. Below are the similarities leading to confusion and their differences.

Marks/Logos

CLF will either have “Conolon/Live Fiber” alone or “Conolon/Live Fiber” inside a fish – but never “Garcia” (because these rods were never sold to Garcia; they were sold directly to fishermen as a Conolon product).

GCLF will always have “Garcia” & “Conolon/Live Fiber” inside the same fish design. These rods were made by Conolon and sold by Garcia.

Dates

CLF were made from 1948 until 1960 when Garcia purchased Conolon. A search of a US newspapers archive shows “Live Fiber” newspaper ad’s ending in 1960.

GCLF were made 1971-77 based on appearance of newspaper ad’s or from 1973 on based on first use in commerce documented for trademark submission.

Additional information

GCLF were never cataloged by Garcia. No photo’s, descriptions, or listing of model numbers of known GCLF (2450, 2451, 2452, 2459, 2460, 2461, 2463, 2560, & B460) were included in a catalog. GCLF are always brown-colored rods. They are not uncommon rods.

As to the quality/price level of GCLF, I found an ad to help answer that.
$15.88 Garcia Brown 4-star Rod
$12.88 Garcia Avocado 3-star Rod
$ 6.88 Garcia Conolon Live Fiber Rod

Does what I have written seem correct?

What’s going on here? Uncataloged by Garcia, but trademarked and sold in the US. I thought it might be a line for a retail chain, but the newspaper ad’s are from a variety of retailers.

John
Attachment:
7603 19 Press_and_Sun_Bulletin Binghamton_NY.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
New Topic Add Reply