Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: service merchandise
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:29 pm • #  

At a garage sale today, I picked up two rods with reels, one rod was trash with no markings but had a good user 410 and the other is a Garcia Conolon with a 300.
This rod has a flat top diamond shape with s over m inside of it,
says garcia conolon with made exclusively for service merchandise, under that is 1001 5/ 1/2' light action.

This is the first I have seen the info about service merchandise on it.

Post subject: Re: service merchandise
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 am • #  

I have this vague recollection that Service Merchandise was a club-type store like Costco, BJ's or Sam's Club that was around in the 1980's.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 pm • #  

Something like that but I do not think that you had to be a member, I was thinking like a no frills shop and if they did not stock what you wanted they had a catalog that you could order from in the store. But not sure on this. Or I could just google it and learn more than I need to know.
Service Merchandise was founded in 1934 by Harry and Mary Zimmerman as a five-and-dime store in the town of Pulaski, Tennessee. The first of what evolved into a huge chain of catalog showrooms opened in 1960 on Broadway in downtown Nashville, Tennessee.
Older logo mainly used in the 1970s-1985.

During the 1970s and 1980s, Service Merchandise was a leading catalog-showroom retailer. At its peak, the company achieved more than $4 billion in annual sales. As the company expanded, it began to open showrooms nationwide, mostly in the vicinity of major shopping malls, which were in vogue in the 1970s. In the early 1980s, the Service Merchandise headquarters moved from Nashville to nearby Brentwood, Tennessee, becoming one of the first businesses to plant itself in the area that is now known as Cool Springs. In May 1985, Service Merchandise acquired the H. J. Wilson Co. for approximately $200 million. Raymond Zimmerman, CEO was attracted to Wilson's stores to gain a stronger foothold in the Sunbelt states.[1][2] Several of these Wilson's locations included an off-priced apparel department of about 15,000 square feet (1,400 m2). Service Merchandise also had other wholly owned subsidiaries featuring retail stores such as Zim's Jewelers, HomeOwners Warehouse (later called Mr. HOW Warehouse),[3] The Lingerie Store, and The Toy Store.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 pm • #  

Syd and garthg,

Service Merchandise was not at all like Costco or Sam's. You didn't need a membership. You didn't load your items onto a shopping cart.

It was a catalog-showroom retailer. What that meant was there were some catalog items (1 each under glass) on display - but not all catalog items. You filled out a slip for your purchase with catalog number/info. "The customer would then move to the 'Merchandise Pickup Area' near the exit, where the order would emerge from the stockroom on a conveyor belt."

Respectfully, the purchase process has not much to do with that the rod was by Garcia specific to a retailer. :sSig_offtopic:

An image of the rod's decal would be nice.

Warm regards,
John

P.S. 300 likely is a graphite rod.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 pm • #  

Ok, I think I finally figured out how to resize pictures. Lets see, here are some pictures of the rod I hope. The guides are after buffing them. It looks like I can only post 3 pictures at a time, I will do another post with the last 3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 pm • #  

I am glad I figured out how to do this, and I made notes. Thanks Chris for the ones you have done in the past for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:15 pm • #  

Hi Syd , The guides look like they turned out great,glad you figured out how to post photos, I'm close but not there yet . Maybe it's not possible from an I pad which is all I have. Regards , John in Pa. :sAng_banghead2:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm • #  

Syd, I had not uploaded a photo from my Ipad before reading your post, so gave it a try (photo below is direct from Ipad)...Since pixels are limited to 750 wide and all the photos on my IPAD were larger than that, I had to to email the photo that I already had in my photo album to myself, then save the emailed photo back in the photo album, in order to make it smaller. Then it loaded up onto this site directly through the "choose file" button.

To make the the photo smaller, go to photo album and press "select" in upper right corner. Then press a photo you want to upload. Then press the square with an upward arrow icon in the upper left corner, then press the mail icon. Fill out the "To:" with your email address. Before hitting send, the email will show you the size of the file in the upper right. You can click on the file size to give you different options of sizing. Medium size should work. Hit send. Then go to your email, pull up the email, press and hold on the photo and press the "save image" icon...this will save the file smaller in your photo album. You will now have two of the same photo in your album, but one is smaller. Then, you can press "choose file" on the MRM reply post and it will upload...may sound difficult, probably because of how I describe, but it is really pretty simple...

I will try a few more times, as I'm not sure why it is rotated...

Attachment:
1D0FBB19-DBF7-474B-B8A2-C0B0E7E5839A.jpeg
Test

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm • #  

Test 2...that's better...

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply