Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: cleaning line guides
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:33 pm • #  

The rod that I just picked up, along with a few others that I have are in nice user shape with the exception of he line guides. They are starting to get a little pitted, has anyone had any success with polishing them so they do not wear the line? If so what works for you, Thanks, Syd

Post subject: Re: cleaning line guides
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 pm • #  

Hi Syd, I also picked up a nice rod at a spring fishing sportsman show. The guy sold it to me for $ 5.00 because he said the guides were in bad shape . Well, I'm sure you know what a fisherman at a fishing flea market is like. I bought it with the intention of putting new guides on it ,but when I got it home and took a closer look at it I saw it was only surface corrosion. I used automobile chrome polish and they came out like new.Im pretty sure it might not work if the chrome is already being eaten off. Also if they are stainless steel without any finish at all you could polish all you want to clean them up. Best regards , John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:41 pm • #  

I was thinking of giving that a try, just work it in with a rag? It is the rod with the service merchendise markings on it. I think it will work great with a 308 or a 408.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:35 pm • #  

Hi Syd, It's been awhile and I was just wondering how you made out with those line guides you wanted to clean up. With the weather turning colder ,you should have plenty of time to work on them , or maybe your getting your equipment ready for ice fishing if your into that . Best regards , John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 am • #  

Hello, I have been busy with other things and had not checked in here for awhile, but I did get a chance to work on the guides, I ended up using the small felt wheels that come with a dremel kit and buffing compound. started off with a off whiteish colored compound then used red rouge as a final polish. It worked well. did it from both sides and was lucky that it was the larger ones that needed to be done. It also went very quick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm • #  

Here is what they look like now

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply