308 & 309 Dating

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Robcfish

308 & 309 Dating

Post by Robcfish »

Mitchell 308 and 309. How are these to be dated? The serial numbers on mine indicates there from the 50's. But on the list of reels it says they started producing them in mid 60's.
So they apparently are not in the same group of serial numbers as the 300's. Please help me figure this out. Yes I'm new to collecting. But my first reel was a 1965 Mitchell 300. My father gave me this reel in 1975 for my 5th birthday. Then hid it from me until I was 13 and had learned to take care of my things. People have asked me on several occasions if I was some kind of fish God. I'm that guy who walks up to people who haven't caught anything all day, and starts hauling em in one after another. Trout, salmon, or steelhead. It doesn't matter they all just seem to want me to catch them. I have been fishing since I was able to climb over the giant boulders on a creek. And make it to the water with my dad. He said I was 3 when I accomplished this. And it took 3 minutes to catch my 1st fish.