Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Garcia 2121B Rod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:36 pm • #  
Global Moderator

étranger,
Thanks for the info from the 71 annual in your last post. I don't collect the rods, but a dear friend gave me this rod a couple years ago, and now I have an idea about it's age.
It's just a beautiful rod and I just can't bring myself to mount a reel on it. I wish the first pic was better. :sCh_taz:
Ted Lanham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Garcia 2121B Rod
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm • #  

Hey Ted,

That's definitely a nice rod.

It has the Garcia star type of logo, so it might be 1970 or a little earlier. The 1971 Garcia Annual photo has "Gold" rods with the Garcia red wedge logo. I should be able to get you a date range in a couple of days.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:31 pm • #  

Hi Ted, I have the same rod, I more than likely purchased it in the mid 60s. Unfortunately being young and dumb at the time I didn't keep track of the bag or tube thru out life and there gone. I still use it for trout fishing with my first 308 on it and the only time there apart is for cleaning. The one you got is a real beauty, If you ever want to part with it ,let me know. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 pm • #  

That's a fine looking rod. I've been watching some of those on Ebay lately and they seem to bring a good bit of money. Certainly one to hold on too. I understand you're apprehension about fishing it.

Is it particularly "whippy?"

I've always wondered if I'm missing out by not trying one of these older rods. I fish primarily ultralight in a 14' v-bottom with my dad and brother. Too long a pole makes a bad day for someone's ear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 am • #  
Global Moderator

Balvar24,
Maybe, Oscillator1 will help you out there on the rods action. I've never put it together.

My friend picked up this rod, and others, at a local estate sale along with a never used 408 with everything like new except the bottom of the 408 box. It had gotten wet so the estate people thru it away. It was one of those estate sales that you never forget.
He's still looking for a replacement bottom. :sFun_bricks:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 am • #  

Hello Balvar24, I can tell you without a doubt that the 2121B is a very flexible ( whippy ) rod. So much that mine has a slight curve in it from fishing with it . More than likely the reason for the bend is because when I was younger ( 60 yrs. ago) I used it to also fish for shad on the Delaware river in Pa. They can get up to 6/7 lbs. which I know is to much for that rod, but it was sure fun when you tied into one. I only use it for trout fishing now. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 pm • #  

Ted Lanham wrote:
Balvar24,
Maybe, Oscillator1 will help you out there on the rods action. I've never put it together.

Ted Lanham

That's some will power. I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 pm • #  

Mates,

If I may be allowed by Ted, here's a photo edit of his first image. Just an "auto-adjust colors" click and then manual increase of saturation by 100. Ted, if not, please delete.

John
Attachment:
Ted's 2121 B ed.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:09 pm • #  

Ted and John in Pa,

Both your 2121 rods date from 1964-69 because of:
- star Garcia logo type
- Featherweight Sizematic ferrule
- no 2121 prior to 1964

We can narrow the date range more by the type of butt cap, whether your "g" is black (early) or red (later).

Below I show 1964 and 1969 Garcia Fishing annual content.

My father had a Gold 5½' rod (purchased in the mid 60's) with his Mitchell 300. This was likely the 2132. I remember it as being very flexible.

John
Attachment:
6400 Garcia Annual 149 Gold rods.jpg

Attachment:
6900 Garcia Annual 144 Gold rods.jpg

Attachment:
6900 Garcia Annual 144 Gold excerpt.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

étranger,
You did good fixing my pic.. I'll have to try that the next time I have the problem.
My rod had the red "G", so it's the one in the 1969 annual. Back in those days, all I used was Shakespeare Wonder Rods for my 300. They must have cost a bit less than the Garcia. ;)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 pm • #  

Hello 'etranger, According to the two catalogs you have pics of there is a difference in the guide wrappings . The early one looks to have more black under the foot of the guides. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 pm • #  

Hey John in Pa,

You're correct; the wrapping is different, too.

John
Attachment:
wrappings.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm • #  

Hey Ted and John in Pa,

Just to let you know, I’ve narrowed your 2121 rods' date range to 1967-69.

I reviewed my Garcia Fishing Annuals from the 1960’s. The first year pictured with red “g” butt cap and wrapping matching 1969 was 1967.

There is a caveat. Since catalogs are not 100% historically accurate documents, there’s a small chance your rods are earlier. 1967 had new, additional Gold models. So it is possible Garcia did not update their photo of Gold rods until new models were added.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply